John Ireland (sportscaster)
|Sports commentary career|
|Team(s)||Los Angeles Lakers|
|Sports||Los Angeles Lakers|
John Ireland (born July 15, 1963), is an American sportscaster based in Southern California, who is currently the radio play-by-play announcer for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Since 2011 to present, Ireland has been employed as the radio play-by-play announcer for the Los Angeles Lakers. He also hosts (along with Steve Mason) a Monday-Friday sports talk show on KSPN-AM radio, from noon to 3 pm.
Previously, Ireland hosted shows at XTRA-AM in San Diego, KLAC-AM in Los Angeles, and nationally on the Fox Sports Radio network. From 1997-2000, Mason and Ireland hosted a live TV/Radio simulcast on the Fox Sports West cable network.
From 1995 through 2012, Ireland was employed as a sports anchor/reporter by KCBS/KCAL-TV, the Viacom-owned duopoly in Los Angeles. From 2002-2010, he worked as the sideline reporter for all Los Angeles Lakers broadcasts on KCAL-TV.
- "John Ireland". CBS Los Angeles. Archived from the original on 2012-03-09.
- Medina, Mark (June 21, 2011). "Lakers name Bill Macdonald and John Ireland as team's play-by-play announcers for 2011-2012 season". LA Times. Archived from the original on Jun 11, 2018. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Lev, Michael (December 12, 2013). "Lev: John Ireland's best call is channeling Chick". OC Register.
- Hoffarth, Tom (January 20, 2011). "MEDIA: L.A.'S BEST/WORST TV PERSONALITIES: Maggio brings what KCBS/KCAL is looking for". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Szabo, Matt (August 7, 2007). "IRELAND:Former Sea King no paper boy". Daily Pilot. Archived from the original on June 11, 2018.
- Lee, Jordan (February 11, 2015). "Q&A: Lakers radio host, UCLA alumnus discusses his beginnings in the industry". Daily Bruin. Retrieved June 11, 2018.