John J. Fisher
|John J. Fisher|
|Born||June 1, 1961|
|Residence||San Francisco, US|
|Alma mater||BA Princeton University
MBA Stanford University
|Known for||majority owner of the Oakland Athletics|
|Net worth||$2.4 billion (September 2015)|
|Spouse(s)||Laura Meier Fisher|
|Family||Robert J. Fisher (brother)
William S. Fisher (brother)
John J. Fisher (born June 1, 1961) is an American businessman. He is the majority owner of Major League Baseball's Oakland Athletics and has stakes in Major League Soccer's San Jose Earthquakes and Scotland's Celtic F.C. He is the son of Gap Inc. founders Donald Fisher and Doris F. Fisher.
Early life and education
Fisher is the son of Doris Feigenbaum Fisher and Don Fisher, the co-founders of Gap, Inc. Fisher attended Phillips Exeter Academy and Princeton University, where he received a bachelor's degree in 1983. After college, Fisher worked in the mailroom at the Republican National Committee and worked as a fund-raiser for former President Ronald Reagan and then-Vice President George H.W. Bush. He then attended graduate school at Stanford University School of Business where he earned a master's degree in Business Administration. Fisher, who is Jewish, has two brothers: Robert J. Fisher and William S. Fisher.
After graduate school, he took a job for a real estate company that did business with his parents' company, the Gap. The business was not successful and he became president of Pisces Inc., the Fisher family's investment management company. He established a relationship with Lewis Wolff to jointly purchase several Fairmont hotels in San Francisco which led to his investment in the Oakland Athletics. He also has stakes in Major League Soccer's San Jose Earthquakes and Scotland's Glasgow Celtic football club.
Fisher has been the A's majority owner since he and Wolff closed on their purchase of the team in 2005 and is now also the managing general partner.
Fisher chairs the board of the Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP Foundation), dedicated to training teachers for the KIPP public charter school network., and co-chair of the Charter School Growth Fund.
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - John Fisher May 2015
- San Francisco Gate: "A's NEW ERA / JOHN FISHER / Son of Gap founder is the money behind the deal" by Todd Wallack March 31, 2005
- The Jewish News Weekly of Northern California: "Gap Founder Donald Fisher Leaves Stamp on Community" October 1, 2009
- Princeton University news: "Fisher family funds dormitory for Princeton's Whitman College" by Ruth Stevens June 12, 2006
- Stanford University Bulletin: "Laura Fisher" Archived 2013-07-06 at the Wayback Machine. retrieved July 29, 2013