John Jay High School (Hopewell Junction, New York)
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|John Jay Senior High School|
|2012 State Route 52.
East Fishkill, New York 12533
|School district||Wappingers Central School District|
|Number of students||2377|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue on Light Blue|
|Athletics||Football, Soccer, Gymnastics, Swimming, Track and field, Basketball, Lacrosse, Wrestling, Baseball, Crew, Hockey, Tennis, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Bowling, Volleyball|
|Athletics conference||Section 1 (NYSPHSAA) League C, Class AA|
|Rival||Roy C. Ketcham High School, Arlington High School|
|Newspaper||John Jay Patriot|
John Jay Senior High School is a public high school on State Route 52 in the hamlet of Hopewell Junction in the town of East Fishkill, New York. The school teaches grades 9 through 12. Students from Van Wyck and Wappingers junior high schools who have successfully completed the 8th grade continue to the 9th grade at either Roy C. Ketcham High School or John Jay. The school is a part of the Wappingers Central School District.
John Jay was built in 1968 to accommodate the growth of the Wappingers School District. Prior to its construction, Ketcham High School was the district's only high school, 8 miles (13 km) away in Wappingers Falls. The 1973 graduating class was the first class to have completed four full years at John Jay HS.
Growth in Southern Dutchess County, New York has resulted in a number of classes having more than 25 students in them, although there has been a recent[when?] rise in classes with less than 15 students.
John Jay's current principal is Bonnie King. Paul Albanese, Eleanore Dicioccio, and David Kedzielawa are John Jays current administrators.
In 2002, a new biology-chemistry wing was opened for the exclusive use of these laboratory courses. In 2009, a new math wing was opened on the first floor. The school is geographically surrounded by IBM Fishkill. The presence of IBM in the area has fueled and helped to fund a model example of a high school engineering focus. John Jay offers many classes focused on engineering, with some classes utilizing college-level computer programs and mathematics. Some of the classes are eligible for college credit through the Rochester Institute of Technology.
In recent years[when?], John Jay's percentage of students going on to two- and four-year colleges has been in the 90s. Often students enrolled in two-year programs subsequently move on to four-year programs following their earning an associate degree.
- Brinckerhoff Elementary School in Fishkill, New York
- Fishkill Elementary School in Fishkill, New York
- Fishkill Plains Elementary School in East Fishkill, New York
- Gayhead Elementary School in East Fishkill, New York
Junior high schools
- Van Wyck Junior High School in East Fishkill, New York
- Joe Panik, MLB player for the San Francisco Giants
- Louis Cortina
- Matthew Barrett
- Sean VanBuskirk
- Patti Murin
- "Mrs. Bonnie King, Principal / Contact Information".
- Wappingers Central School District, http://www.wappingersschools.org/
- John Jay Construction Page, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-03. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-03. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "District and School Report Card : IRS : P-12 : NYSED".