John Jenkins (defensive tackle)
|Born:||July 11, 1989|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||327 lb (148 kg)|
|High school:||Francis T. Maloney|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 3 / Pick: 82|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Johnathan Jenkins (born July 11, 1989) is an American football nose tackle who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Georgia, and was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He has also played for the Seattle Seahawks and Chicago Bears.
A native of Meriden, Connecticut, Jenkins attended Francis T. Maloney High School, where he was a member of the Maloney Spartans high school football team. He played defensive end and also occasionally appeared as fullback on short-and-goal situations (scoring four touchdowns as a senior). Jenkins then attended Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston, Mississippi, where he recorded 41 tackles and two quarterback sacks as a sophomore. Gulf Coast had a 19−5 record in his two seasons there.
Jenkins received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Georgia, and played for coach Mark Richt's Georgia Bulldogs football team in 2011 and 2012. He was recruited by Richt to man the nose tackle position in Georgia's 3-4 defense, rotating with Kwame Geathers in the position.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 5⁄8 in
|5.20 s||1.81 s||3.01 s||4.94 s||7.80 s||24 1⁄2 in
|8 ft 4 in
|All values from NFL Combine.|
New Orleans Saints
Jenkins was drafted in the third round, with the 82nd overall pick, by the New Orleans Saints in the 2013 NFL Draft. Jenkins was signed by the Saints on May 10 to a four-year contract, the last of the 5 New Orleans picks to sign.
He was released by the Saints on November 9, 2016.
New York Giants
- John Jenkins solid for Georgia now
- "NFL Draft Profiles - John Jenkins". NFL.com.
- "Georgia DT John Jenkins: 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". NFLDraftScout.com.
- Birdsong, Nick (April 26, 2013). "Georgia DT John Jenkins taken with 20th pick in third round by New Orleans Saints". AL. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Juge, Andrew (May 10, 2013). "SAINTS NATION: SAINTS SIGN JOHN JENKINS TO 4 YEAR CONTRACT". The Saints Nation. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "New Orleans Saints announce roster moves". NewOrleansSaints.com. November 9, 2016.
- Boyle, John (November 15, 2016). "Seahawks Sign Troymaine Pope, John Jenkins; Waive Christine Michael, Sealver Siliga". Seahawks.com.
- Gantt, Darin (March 17, 2017). "Bears sign defensive tackle John Jenkins". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.
- Mayer, Larry (April 7, 2018). "Bears ink Jenkins to one-year contract". ChicagoBears.com.
- Mayer, Larry (September 1, 2018). "Bears announce 53-man roster". ChicagoBears.com.
- Eisen, Michael (September 4, 2018). "Giants sign DT John Jenkins, waive DE Romeo Okwara". Giants.com.