John Joseph Adams
|John Joseph Adams|
John Joseph Adams
|Occupation||Editor, journalist, essayist|
|Genre||Science fiction, Fantasy|
He is the editor of the anthologies
- Federations (Prime Books, May 2009)
- The Living Dead (Night Shade Books, September 2008)
- The Living Dead 2 (Night Shade Books, September 2010)
- Seeds of Change (Prime Books, August 2008)
- Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse (Night Shade Books, January 2008)
- By Blood We Live (Night Shade Books, August 2009)
- The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Night Shade Books, September 2009)
- The Way of the Wizard (Prime Books, November 2010)
- Lightspeed: Year One (Prime Books, November 2011)
- Other Worlds Than These (Night Shade Books, July 2012)
- Epic: Legends of Fantasy (Tachyon Publications, November 2012).
- Brave New Worlds (Night Shade Books, 2nd edition December 2012)
- The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination (Tor Books, February 19, 2013)
- The Apocalypse Triptych (2014 - 2015, with Hugh Howey)
His anthology The Living Dead was nominated for a World Fantasy Award and named one of the "Best Books of the Year" by Publishers Weekly. He has been called "The reigning king of the anthology world" by Barnes & Noble.com, and in 2011 he was named one of "100+ Geeks to Follow on Twitter" by TechRepublic. He is a finalist for the 2011 Hugo Award for Best Professional Editor, Short Form, and his magazine, Lightspeed Magazine, is a finalist for best semiprozine.
Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
He worked as Assistant Editor at The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction from May 2001 to December 2009.
In January 2010 he left F&SF to edit Lightspeed Magazine, an online science fiction magazine which launched June 1, 2010.
In March 2011 he took charge of its sister magazine, Fantasy Magazine.
On June 7, 2012, Adams and Creeping Hemlock Press successfully closed a $7,500 Kickstarter campaign at $9,740 for funding Nightmare Magazine first issue released October 2012. Adams serves as co-publisher and editor-in-chief.
Additionally, Adams is a writer whose genre essays, interviews, and book reviews have appeared in a variety of publications, including Amazing Stories, Kirkus, The Internet Review of Science Fiction, Intergalactic Medicine Show, Locus Magazine, Novel & Short Story Writer's Market, Publishers Weekly, SCI FI Wire, Science Fiction Weekly, Shimmer Magazine, Strange Horizons, Subterranean Magazine, and Tor.com.
In November 2011 Adams purchased Lightspeed and Fantasy Magazine from Sean Wallace of Prime Books. With the January 2012 issue, the first published under Adams's ownership, the content of both magazines was combined under the Lightspeed masthead, and Fantasy Magazine was discontinued as an entity. The Fantasy Magazine staff was also absorbed into Lightspeed.
- "John Joseph Adams : Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination Cover Art and Release Date!". Upcoming4.me. May 22, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- World Fantasy Convention (2010). "Award Winners and Nominees". Retrieved 4 Feb 2011.
- Hugo Awards (2011). "Award Winners and Nominees". Retrieved 26 Apr 2011.
- John Joseph Adams (May 7, 2012). "Nightmare Magazine". Kickstarter. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Locus Online. John Joseph Adams Buys Lightspeed and Fantasy Nov. 2011
- Locus Online. Lightspeed and Fantasy Merge Dec. 2011