John Joseph Tuchi
|John Joseph Tuchi|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona|
May 16, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Roslyn O. Silver|
|Born||John Joseph Tuchi
1964 (age 52–53)
|Education||West Virginia University B.S.
University of Arizona M.S.
Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law J.D.
John Joseph Tuchi (born 1964) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona and former Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Arizona.
Tuchi received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1987 from West Virginia University. He received a Master of Science degree in 1989 from the University of Arizona. He received a Juris Doctor in 1994 from Arizona State University College of Law. He served as a law clerk to Judge William C. Canby of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, from 1994 to 1995. He worked as an associate at the law firm of Brown & Bain, P.A., from 1995 to 1998. From 1998 to 2014, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Arizona. He served as Chief of the Criminal Division, from 2006 to 2009, as Senior Litigation Counsel and Tribal Liaison from 2009 to 2012, interim United States Attorney in 2012 and later served as Chief Assistant United States Attorney.
Federal judicial service
On September 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Tuchi to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona, to the seat vacated by Judge Roslyn O. Silver, who took senior status on September 3, 2013. Tuchi was one of four Arizona judicial nominees announced by Obama that day who were chosen in consultation with Republican Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake. On February 27, 2014 his nomination was reported out of the committee. On May 12, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on the nomination. On Wednesday May 14, 2014 the Senate voted on the motion to invoke cloture by a vote of 62-35. Later that day the Senate voted 96-0 for final confirmation. He received his judicial commission on May 16, 2014.
Tuchi is married to Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Maria del Mar Verdin.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts". 19 September 2013.
- "Tuchi, John Joseph - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 September 2013.
- Wingett Sanchez, Yvonne; Nowicki, Dan (September 19, 2013). "Obama nominates 4 Arizonans to fill U.S. District Court vacancies". Arizona Daily Star. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 145. United States Senate. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 148. United States Senate. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Balink, Vicki Louk (2007). "JUDGE MARIA DEL MAR VERDIN: Deliberations on family life". Raising Arizona Kids Magazine. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
Roslyn O. Silver
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona