John B. Judis is an American journalist, a senior writer at The National Journal, an editor-at-large at Talking Points Memo, a former senior editor at The New Republic and contributing editor to The American Prospect.
Judis was born in Chicago. He attended Amherst College and received B.A. and M.A. degrees in Philosophy from the University of California at Berkeley. In 1969 he was a founding editor of Socialist Revolution (which was later renamed Socialist Review and then Radical Society before ceasing publication in 2009). In the 1970s he was a founding editor of the East Bay Voice. Judis started reporting from Washington in 1982, when he became a founding editor and Washington correspondent for In These Times, a democratic-socialist weekly magazine.
In 2002, he published The Emerging Democratic Majority (co-written with political scientist Ruy Teixeira), a book arguing that Democrats would retake control of American politics, thanks in part to growing support from minorities and well-educated professionals. Its title was a deliberate echo of Kevin Phillips' 1969 classic, The Emerging Republican Majority. The book was named one of the year's best by The Economist.
In 2014 he authored the book Genesis: Truman, American Jews, and the Origins of the Arab/Israeli Conflict in which he discussed the connection between the Israel lobby in the United States and the origin of the modern state of Israel.
- William F. Buckley, Jr.: Patron Saint of the Conservatives (1988)
- Grand Illusion: Critics and Champions of the American Century (1992)
- The Paradox of American Democracy: Elites, Special Interests, and the Betrayal of the Public Trust (2000)
- The Emerging Democratic Majority (with Ruy Teixeira) (2002)
- The Folly of Empire : What George W. Bush Could Learn from Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson (2004)
- Genesis: Truman, American Jews, and the Origins of the Arab/Israeli Conflict (2014)
- "Senior Editor John B. Judis". The New Republic. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- TNR biography
- TNR article: For a New Nationalism, by Judis and Michael Lind
- Trotskyism to Anachronism: The Neoconservative Revolution, by John B. Judis (Foreign Affairs, 1995 )
- Video (and audio) of conversation with John Judis and David Frum on Bloggingheads.tv
- John Judis interviewed about his book, "Genesis: Truman, American Jews, and the Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict" (audio here)
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|