John Hannah (Dean of Chichester)
Hannah was the son of Rev. John Hannah, who had a distinguished career as clergyman in Brighton, and Anne Sophia Gregory (sister of Dr Gregory, Dean of St Paul's), and was born in 1843. He was educated at Trinity College, Glenalmond and Balliol College, Oxford, and ordained Deacon in 1867 after a period of study at Ripon College Cuddesdon.
Two years later he was ordained Priest and received his first post as curate of Brill, Buckinghamshire (1867-1870), he was then curate of Paddington, Middlesex (1870-1871) and curate of Brighton (1871-1873). In 1873 was made Vicar of St Nicholas' Church, Brighton (succeeding his father). Then in 1888 he was appointed Vicar and Rector of Brighton (St Peter's Church, Brighton), again succeeding his father, and thus occupied the chief position among Brighton clergy. He was also appointed rector of West Blatchington (1888-1902). He became at the same time Prebendary of Hove Ecclesia in Chichester Cathedral, and from 1895 Proctor in Convocation for the clergy of the archdeaconry of Lewes. He also served as Rural Dean of Lewes Division V (1889-1902) and as the chairman of Brighton and Preston School Board (1887-1901).
- National Archives
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991; ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- University Intelligence. Oxford, April 21. The Times Friday, Apr 23, 1869; pg. 12; Issue 26419; col B
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, John Phillips, 1900
- Hannah, John Julius. "Brighton church reports collected by the Rev John Julius Hannah". National Archive. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Ecclesiastical intelligence". The Times (36659). London. 8 January 1902. p. 6.
- "no. 27400". The London Gazette. 24 January 1902. p. 513.
- "Ecclesiastical intelligence". The Times (36674). London. 25 January 1902. p. 7.
- National Church Institutions Database of Manuscripts and Archives[permanent dead link]
- London Gazette
- Foster, Paul, ed. (2007). Chichester Deans 1902-2006. Chichester: The University of Chichester. p. 23. ISBN 978-0-948765-22-3.
- Dr. J. J. Hannah Work At Brighton And Chichester The Times Tuesday, Jun 02, 1931; pg. 20; Issue 45838; col A
|Church of England titles|
Richard William Randall
|Dean of Chichester
1902 – 1929
Arthur Stuart Duncan Jones
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|