|Born||1967/1968 (age 53–54)|
|Education||Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree|
|Alma mater||NSCAD University|
|Employer||Blue Sky Studios (1990-1997)|
Pixar Animation Studios (1997-2007)
Walt Disney Animation Studios (2007-2013)
Kahrs attended NSCAD University, graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1990. He began his career at Blue Sky Studios in New York, where he worked as an animator between 1990 and 1997. He later moved to Pixar, where he worked on such films as A Bug's Life, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille. After ten years at Pixar, he moved over to Disney, where he animated on Bolt, Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen, and was an animation supervisor on Tangled.
In August 2013, he left Walt Disney Animation Studios to develop his own projects. In January 2014, it was reported that he will direct for Paramount Animation an animated film Shedd. In 2020, he directed Over the Moon with Glen Keane, which was released on Netflix the same year.
|1998||A Bug's Life||Yes|
|1999||Toy Story 2||Yes|
|2001||Monsters, Inc.||Yes||Also character developer|
|2002||Mike's New Car||Yes||Short film|
|2004||The Incredibles||Yes||Also character developer|
|2018||Age of Sail||Yes||VR short film|
|2020||Over the Moon||Yes||Co-director with Glen Keane|
- Vineyard, Jennifer (February 28, 2013). "Paperman Creator John Kahrs on Winning an Oscar, Love, and Meeting Celebrities". Vulture. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
...this is his directorial debut, at age 45.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Congratulations John Kahrs". NSCAD University. February 25, 2013. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved October 15, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ciafardini, Marc (November 1, 2012). "Exclusive: Interview…Disney Animator & 'Paperman' Director John Kahrs". GooseTalk. Retrieved October 15, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Koch, Dave (January 23, 2014). "Paperman Director Lands At Paramount". Big Cartoon News. Archived from the original on January 24, 2014. Retrieved January 23, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The 85th Academy Awards (2013) Nominees and Winners". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. February 24, 2013. Archived from the original on October 1, 2014. Retrieved January 24, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lang, Brent (September 3, 2013). "Disney Animation, 'Paperman' Director Part Ways". The Wrap. Retrieved October 1, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- McNary, Dave (January 22, 2014). "Paramount Animation Taps 'Paperman's' John Kahrs to Direct 'Shedd' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 23, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Radulovic, Petrana (October 21, 2020). "Disney's renaissance was just a stepping stone for Glen Keane". Polygon. Retrieved April 15, 2021.