John Kastner, born Jean-Guy Kastner on August 12, 1969, is a Canadian musician and composer born in Beaconsfield, Quebec. He is well known as the singer for Montreal hardcore punk band the Asexuals as well as singer-guitarist for Montreal alternative band Doughboys and alternative band All Systems Go!. He is also the manager and former rhythm guitarist for the band Men Without Hats.
Jean-Guy Kastner was born in Beaconsfield, Quebec, to Charles Kastner and Kathryn Ann Watt. He had been interested in rock 'n' roll since elementary school. By the time he was 9 years old, he was following musicians who worked in downtown Montreal and who performed at the Forum.
Kastner joined the Asexuals in 1983 and recorded a 7" and two LP's with them before quitting in 1987, over musical differences. While a member of the Asexuals, he fronted the band and helped the Montreal hardcore scene become well-known outside the city through the frequent tours the group made in Canada, the U.S.A. and Europe.
After leaving the Asexuals, he started the Doughboys, releasing seven albums from 1987 to 1996. The band broke up in 1996 and Kastner moved to California; he established himself in Silverlake and started writing music for soundtracks.
In 1998, he started the band All Systems Go! with Frank Daly and Mark Arnold of Big Drill Car and released five albums and EPs from 1999 to 2003 before going on a hiatus in 2005. They released another album in 2007, then went on another hiatus. Kastner also recorded and released the 2006 album entitled "Have you seen Lucky?", which featured a number of his previous bandmates.
Kastner wrote music for many movies and TV show soundtracks, including Phil the Alien, Universal Soldier: The Return and Brats of the Lost Nebula. and collaborated on records by Mega City Four, The Weekend, Mark Lanegan Band and Men Without Hats.
In 2010, he appeared in the documentary Open Your Mouth And Say... Mr. Chi Pig, a Canadian film about the life of SNFU singer Mr. Chi Pig directed by Sean Patrck Shaul and released by Prairie Coast Films.
Kastner married actress Nicole de Boer on 18 December 1999. They have a daughter, Summer Lee Kastner, born in January 2007. In 2012, John and de Boer separated, and later divorced. In May 2013, he began dating actress and Mad Men star Jessica Paré. In October 2014, Kastner and Paré announced they were expecting their first child together. On March 19, 2015, Paré gave birth to a son, who was named Blues Anthony Paré Kastner.
Kastner has a sister, Debbie, and a brother, Jason. On 26 March 2008, Kastner's mother Kathryn Ann Watt died of cancer.
- Featuring: The Asexuals (Og Music, 1984)
- Be What You Want (First Strike Records, 1984) (Psyche-Industry, 1985)
- Contemporary World (Psyche Industry, 1985)
- La Majeure (Scamindy Records, Boss Tuneage Records1987/2003)
- Whatever (MTL Records, 1987)
- Home Again (Restless Records, 1988)
- Happy Accidents (Restless Records, 1990)
- When Up Turns to Down (Emergo Records, 1991)
- Crush (A&M Records, 1993)
- Turn Me On (A&M Records, 1996)
All Systems Go!
- All Systems Go! (Cobraside Distribution, 1999)
- I'll Be Your Radio (Cobraside Distribution, 2001, EP)
- Mon Chi Chi (Bad Taste Records, 2002)
- Fascination Unknown (Bad Taste Records, 2003, EP)
- Tell Vicky (Bad Taste Records, 2003, EP)
- A Late Night Snack (iTunes, 2007)
- Have You Seen Lucky? (Boss Tuneage, 2006)
Bran Van 3000
- The Garden (Audiogram, 2010)
- Barry, Chris (20–26 October 2005), "Dreadlock Holiday", Montreal Mirror, archived from the original on 11 April 2009
- The Gazette (2 June 2012) P. E-3 "Doroschuk says Hats' new album reflects 'general unease'"
- Lepage, Mark (30 September 2010), "Pop Montreal: A reunion, by any name", The Gazette
- Margot Whitmire (30 October 2004). "Expansion Team". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.: 44–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Jon Kastner Have You Seen Lucky?". Exclaim!, By Stuart Green, Jul 01, 2006
- Lalande, Olivier (22 September 2010), "Remettre le "Montréal" dans Pop Montréal", Voir,
Grosses retrouvailles, le 1er octobre au Cabaret Juste pour rire, avec la version originale des Asexuals, pionniers de la scène punk. John Kastner, qui faisait partie du groupe avant de fonder les Doughboys
- "Bran Van 3000 page". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Fraser, Malcolm (12 May 2011). "Home and Away Archived 8 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine.". Montreal Mirror. Retrieved on 10 May 2012.
- Kelly, Brendan. "Hot on the heels of Zou Bisou, Bisou, Mad Men star Jessica Pare says there might be more music coming | Montreal Gazette". Blogs.montrealgazette.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Baby on the way for Jessica Paré". People.com. 28 October 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- Leon, Anya; Garcia, Jennifer (21 March 2015). "Jessica Paré Welcomes Son Blues Anthony". People. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "DEATHS". Canada.com. 27 March 2008. Retrieved 2014-08-19.