John Knight Fotheringham
John Knight Fotheringham FBA (14 August 1874 – 12 December 1936) was a British historian who was an expert on ancient astronomy and chronology. He established the chronology of the Babylonian dynasties.
J.K. Fotheringham was educated at the City of London School and Merton College, Oxford, where he held an exhibition and received first class degrees in Literae Humaniores (1896) and modern history (1897). During 1898–1902, he held a senior demyship at Magdalen College, Oxford, and started to study ancient chronology. In 1904, he was appointed a lecturer in classical literature at King's College London and taught there until 1915.
Fotheringham was a Fellow at Magdalen College (1909–16). He was a Reader in ancient history at the University of London (1912–20). He was later Reader in ancient astronomy and chronology at the University of Oxford (1925–36).
- The Bodleian Manuscript of Jerome's Version of the Chronicle of Eusebius, editor (Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1905)
- The History of England, from Addington's Administration to the Close of William IV's Reign 1801–1837, Volume XI, with George Charles Brodrick (Longmans, Green, 1906)
- Marco Sanudo, conqueror of the Archipelago, with L.R.F. Williams (Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1915)
- Cleostratus (London: Clay, 1920)
- Historical eclipses (Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1921)
- The calendar (London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1929)
- Ancient astronomy and chronology (The Oxford Magazine, 1930)
- "John Knight Fotheringham", The Concise Dictionary of National Biography, Volume I: A–F, Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Obituary: Dr. J. K. Fotheringham, F.B.A.. Nature, 139, 788–789, 8 May 1937. doi:10.1038/139788a0
- John L. Myres, "John Knight Fotheringham, 1874–1936". Proceedings of the British Academy, volume XXIII.
- Obituary Notices: Fellows:- Fotheringham, John Knight, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 97, 4, pp. 270–272, February 1937.
- A. Pogo, The Writings of J. K. Fotheringham, Isis, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 58–68, July 1938. Published by The University of Chicago Press for The History of Science Society.
- John Knight Fotheringham, Open Library.
- Works by John Knight Fotheringham at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about John Knight Fotheringham at Internet Archive
- Obituaries of John Knight Fotheringham (1874–1936)