|Birth name||John S. Konesky|
|Also known as||Kones|
November 19, 1980 |
Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
|Years active||2005 - Present|
|Labels||Columbia Records, SPV GmbH, Epic Records|
|Associated acts||Tenacious D, Trainwreck, Kyle Gass Band, Big Talk, The Haden Triplets, Carolina Liar|
Konesky is known primarily for his association with Tenacious D due to performing on their The Pick Of Destiny, Rize of the Fenix and The Complete Master Works 2 releases. He has toured North America, Europe, Australia and Asia with the band since 2006 and has featured on late night talk shows such as The David Letterman Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live. He also plays electric guitar for the Kyle Gass Band, John Carpenter and Big Talk. Konesky has provided guitar on many soundtracks and scores such as The Hangover Part II and The Runaways. He also starred in a guitar themed web show entitled "Guitarings".
On the local Ohio music circuit, Konesky and friend John Spiker played as the Spiker-Konesky Band. In December 2001, Tenacious D played a concert with Weezer and Jimmy Eat World in Value City Arena, where Kyle Gass befriended Erin Robinson, who described herself as a "huge D fan." Gass wanted to create a side-project after Jack Black's popularity in the film industry made him no-longer have as much time for Tenacious D. Gass was about to start a band and was looking for guitarists, and he discovered Konesky and Spiker after Robinson suggested them. Trainwreck was formed not too long after. Konesky moved to Los Angeles, where Trainwreck would then frequently play club shows.
In 2005, Konesky was made the lead electric guitarist for Tenacious D and co-wrote the song "The Metal" which would go on to be featured on Guitar Hero III and he also helped write the guitar solo for "Car Chase City". In 2006, Konesky featured on Tenacious D's Pick Of Destiny tour, supporting the film and album. Konesky dressed up as the 'Anti-Christ' - after a skit in the show caused Tenacious D to go to hell and meet Satan. Konesky's first gig with Tenacious D was at the House Of Blues in Las Vegas on the 11th of November. In 2007, Konesky started the band "Sea of Air". He can be seen on Tenacious D's 2008 concert video and documentary The Complete Master Works 2. Kones played the festivals, Reading and Leeds festivals in 2008, Outside Lands in 2009 and Bonnaroo in 2010. In 2011, Trainwreck split, which led to Konesky joining The Kyle Gass Band. In 2016, Konesky began performing for John Carpenter live.
- Trainwreck Live, Trainwreck (2004) - Guitar
- The Pick of Destiny, Tenacious D (2006) - Guitar; Composer of "Car Chase City" and "The Metal"
- Kones, John Konesky (2008) - Guitar
- The Wreckoning, Trainwreck (2009) - Guitar, Composer
- Rize of the Fenix, Tenacious D (2012) - Guitar
- Simply Jazz, Tenacious D (2012) - Guitar
- Kyle Gass Band, The Kyle Gass Band (2013) - Guitar
- Straight In No Kissin''', Big Talk (2015) - Guitar
- Tenacious D Live, Tenacious D (2015) - Guitar
|2004||Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Trainwreck||"TV Theme"|
|2006||Saturday Night Live||Tenacious D||"Kickapoo" and "The Metal"|
|American Music Awards of 2006||"POD"|
|Jimmy Kimmel Live!||"Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)"|
|Friday Night with Jonathan Ross||"POD"|
|Spike Video Game Awards||"The Metal"|
|2008||BBC||Tenacious D||Reading and Leeds Festivals|
|2006||Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny||Guitar, Song Writer||Various Songs|
|2008||The Complete Masterworks Part 2||Tenacious D||Live Concert & Documentary|
|2005||Current TV Halloween special||Trainwreck||Host|
- "POD", Tenacious D (2006)
- "Tim Blankenship", Trainwreck (2008)
- "Brodeo", Trainwreck (2010)
- "To Be the Best", Tenacious D (2012)
- "Rize of the Fenix", Tenacious D (2012)
- "Roadie", Tenacious D (2012)
- "Rock is Dead", Tenacious D (2012)
- "The Making of Simply Jazz", Tenacious D (2012)
- "Our Job to Rock", The Kyle Gass Band (2015)
- "Destiny lands Ohioans jobs with". The Columbus Dispatch. 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-03-11.