John Krafcik during the opening day of Web Summit 2017 at Altice Arena in Lisbon
September 18, 1961|
MIT Sloan School of Management
|Occupation||CEO of Waymo|
|Salary||$7.56 million (2014)|
John Krafcik (born September 18, 1961) is the CEO of Waymo Inc. He formerly served as President and CEO of Hyundai Motor America and TrueCar Inc. and. His current position was announced in December 2016, after Google separated its self-driving car project and transitioned it into a new company called Waymo, which is now housed under Google’s parent company Alphabet.
Krafcik worked in several automotive companies during his career before joining Google self-driving car project. His first career was at New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. as a quality & manufacturing engineer from 1984 to 1986.
He worked in International Motor Vehicle Program, MIT as lean production research and consulting from 1986 to 1999 and later moved to Ford Motor Company where he held several positions at the company's product and development section such as Supervisor, Alpha Advanced Team, Truck Strategy & Planning, Truck Chassis Engineering between 1990 to 1994, Manager, European Transit Chassis Engineering, 1994 to 1997 and later Chief Engineer, Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator from 1998 to 2004. Krafcik became VP.
He then started with Hyundai Motor America as vice president for product development & strategic planning in 2004 and was later promoted to become the president and CEO until the end of 2013. Krafcik moved to become President of True Car Inc. in 2014 and was later appointed as a director of the company's board.
- "Mr. John Krafcik - Executive Bio & Compensation History". FindTheCompany.
- "John Krafcik - CEO @ Waymo - crunchbase". Crunchbase. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- McFarland, Matt. "Google launches Waymo and moves closer to self-driving cars". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- "Google hires TrueCar president to head self-driving car project". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- Undercoffler, David (2014-06-07). "How I Made It: John Krafcik". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "How I Made It: John Krafcik - LA Times". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Waymo (formerly Google's Self-Driving Car Project): The smart person's guide". TechRepublic. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- "Waymo's John Krafcik has the answers to your self-driving car questions". Recode. Retrieved 2017-12-30.
- Data Economy - EDGE 50: The World's First Top 50 Edge Computing Influencers