John Arnold Kronstadt
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California|
|Assumed office |
April 14, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Florence-Marie Cooper|
|Judge of the Los Angeles County Superior Court|
|Appointed by||Gray Davis|
|Preceded by||Juelann Cathey|
|Succeeded by||Roberto Longoria|
John Arnold Kronstadt
March 5, 1951
|Education||Cornell University (A.B.)|
Yale Law School (J.D.)
John Arnold Kronstadt (born March 5, 1951) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Early life and education
Kronstadt was born in 1951. He graduated from Cornell University in 1973 with an Artium Baccalaureus At Cornell, he was a member of the Quill and Dagger society. He earned his Juris Doctor from Yale Law School in 1976. After completing law school, Kronstadt served as a law clerk for Judge William P. Gray of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
State judicial service
In October 2002, California Governor Gray Davis appointed Kronstadt to the Los Angeles County Superior Court. He replaced Judge Juelann Cathey, who had retired earlier that year following major heart surgery.
Federal judicial service
On November 17, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Kronstadt to a judgeship on the United States District Court for the Central District of California to fill the vacancy created by the death of Florence-Marie Cooper. On April 12, 2011, the Senate voted 96–0 to confirm his nomination. Kronstadt received his judicial commission two days later.
Kronstadt is married to California 2nd District Court of Appeal Justice Helen Bendix.
- MyLife.com profile
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questionnaire: John Arnold Kronstadt, (November 15, 2010).
- President Obama Nominates Six to the United States District Court, 11/17/10, whitehouse.gov (November 17, 2010).
- Ofgang, Kenneth (November 19, 2010). "Obama Nominates Kronstadt to U.S. District Court". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "Kronstadt, John Arnold – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Laird, Lorelei (October 17, 2002). "Davis Appoints Two to Los Angeles Superior Court Bench". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- MetNews Staff Writer (July 1, 2002). "Judge Juelann Cathey Granted Disability Retirement". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- Victoria Kim, Trial begins in tussle over giant emerald, Los Angeles Times (September 25, 2010).
- John Kronstadt at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- John A. Kronstadt at Ballotpedia
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California