John L. Simpson
|John L. Simpson|
2 September 1963 |
|Education||Epping Boys High School (1977-1982)
UWS - Performing Arts, Major in Acting (1984 - 1986)
AFTRS - Film & Television Production (2001 - 2002)
|Occupation||Founder & CEO Titan View|
John L. Simpson (born 2 September 1963) is an Australian film and theatre producer and distributor.
Simpson first began his career as an actor and performed in various stage productions such as Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera. He later began working as a theater producer in 1991 with the play My Black Heart. Simpson then moved into producing films such as Men's Group, his first independent film. He has become a regular speaker on low budget filmmaking models in Australia and is a current advisor to several film labs across the country, including the SA FilmLAB and Screen ACT’s Low Budget Feature Film Initiative.
In July 2007 Simpson founded the distribution company Titan View, which he formed in order to distribute the film The Jammed. Simpson mortgaged his house to create the company and distribute the film, which became the third highest-grossing screen average for an Australian film of all time during its first few weeks of release. Simpson received an AFI Fellowship in 2008 to tour the film Men's Group around Australia. The company has also received funding from Screen Australia in 2010 as part of their Innovative Distribution Funding project.
|2012||Black & White & Sex||Distributor|
|2012||This is Roller Derby||Executive Producer & Distributor|
|2011||33 Postcards||Marketing Director & Distributor|
|2009||Into the Shadows||Self|
|2008||Three Blind Mice||Distributor|
|2008||Men's Group||Writer, Producer & Distributor|
|2004||Thunderstruck||Assistant to Producer, Post Production Coordinator|
- 2007 Digispaa, Won Spaartan Award
- 2008 Inside Film Award Won - Best Film (Men's Group)
- 2008 Inside Film Award Won - Best script (Men's Group)
- "Spruiker's endeavour pays off". The Australian. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "GUESTS: John L Simpson". SBS.com.au. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "The last picture show man: Producer John L. Simpson". SBS.com.au. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Small town's big picture". The Australian. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "The making of men's self-help, the movie". Courier Mail. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "APPROVALS DEVELOPMENT FUNDING DETAILS - FEATURES". Screen Australia. Retrieved 28 May 2013.