John La Puma
|John La Puma|
|Born||John J. La Puma
1957/1958 (age 57–58)
New York, United States
|Residence||Santa Barbara, California, United States|
|Education||University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A. 1978)
Baylor College of Medicine (MD 1982)
Early life and education
La Puma was born in New York around 1957–1958, one of six children. His family relocated to Santa Barbara, California in 1967, where La Puma attended elementary school through San Marcos High School. He enrolled at the University of California, Santa Barbara's College of Creative Studies and received a B.A. in Biology in 1978.
He earned his MD from Baylor University's College of Medicine in 1982. He trained in internal medicine in Los Angeles. He completed the first U.S. postgraduate fellowship for physicians in clinical ethics at the University of Chicago, became a Clinical Associate Professor there and founded the Lutheran General Center for Clinical Ethics, pioneering hospital clinical ethics consultation in the U.S. He later graduated (in Professional Cooking) from the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago, part of Le Cordon Bleu.
La Puma would later found CHEF Clinic, the Cooking, Healthy Eating and Fitness, program to prevent and treat obesity, maintain weight loss and measurably promote wellness. He is co-founder of ChefMDR, a health and media company, is founder of CHEF ClinicR and GlutenFreeQuiz for celiac disease screening. The first physician to teach cooking and nutrition in a U.S. medical school, he has authored over 250 original publications, book chapters, abstracts and books. His research interests include weight control, dietary supplement use, employee wellness and medical ethics. His first book for the general public, written with Dr. Michael Roizen, The RealAge Diet: Make Yourself Younger with What You Eat (April 2001) reached The New York Times Bestseller List. His cookbook is Cooking the RealAge Way (May 2003), co-authored with Dr. Roizen. Dr. La Puma contributed recipes to YOU: The Owner’s Manual (May 2005), co-authored by Drs. Roizen and Mehmet Oz. His most recent book is ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine (April 2008), which reached The New York Times Bestseller List in October 2008. In it, La Puma describes culinary medicine (the art of cooking integrated with the science of medicine) and its application to 40 common health conditions. He practices medicine and nutrition and writes books in Santa Barbara, California, and is a social media enthusiast, believing it to have the potential to have the power to help individuals control their health.
Dr. La Puma has appeared numerous times as a motivational and keynote speaker. In June 2001, La Puma was the commencement speaker at the University of California graduation ceremony of the College of Creative Studies.
- "Eat and Cook Healthy with Dr John La Puma!" on PBS, a quarterly PBS Special, 2011-
- "What’s Cookin’ With ChefMD?" on Lifetime Television’s Health Corner Series, 2006-2010
- Guest appearances on The Today Show, Good Morning America, The 700 Club, 2008-
Honors and awards
- National Association of Medical Communicators' Award of Excellence , 2007
- Top Physicians in the U.S. Top Physicians
- Silver and Bronze Medals, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, 32nd Annual U.S. Amateur Winemaking Competition 
- First Place, National Instructional Journalism Newsletter Publishers Foundation, 1999
- ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine: A Food Lover's Road Map to Losing Weight, Preventing Disease and Getting Really Healthy, by John La Puma, Rebecca Powell Marx, 2008, ISBN 978-0-307-39462-0
- YOU: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger, by Michael F. Roizen, Mehmet Oz, 2005, ISBN 0-06-076531-3 (recipes)
- Cooking the RealAge Way: Turn Back Your Biological Clock with More Than 80 Delicious and Easy Recipes by Michael F. Roizen, John La Puma, 2003, ISBN 0-06-000935-7
- The RealAge Diet: Make Yourself Younger with What You Eat by Michael F. Roizen, John La Puma, 2001, ISBN 0-06-008612-2
- Managed Care Ethics: Essays on the Impact of Managed Care on Traditional Medical Ethics John La Puma, 1998, ISBN 1-57826-012-4
- Ethics Consultation: A Practical Guide by John La Puma, David Schiedermayer, 1994, ISBN 0-86720-797-3
- Numerous contributions to The New England Journal of Medicine, The Journal of the American Medical Association, The Annals of Internal Medicine, JillianMichaels.com, Intent.com, Guideposts,Tribune Media Syndicate
- "John J. La Puma, MD". http://www.cottagehealth.org. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Seabaugh, Michael (May 21, 2008). "Dr. John La Puma’s New Book on Culinary Medicine Is Rooted in Santa Barbara Soil". Santa Barbara Independent (Santa Barbara, California). Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Hoffman, Lyz (May 14, 2014). "Dr. John La Puma Promotes Culinary Medicine". Santa Barbara Independent (Santa Barbara, California). Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "John La Puma (CCS Biology '78) in Best of 2014 by Santa Barbara Magazine". https://ccs.ucsb.edu. March 19, 2014. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "CCS Grads Start Off FarewellS". http://www.ia.ucsb.edu. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "Class Notes". https://connect.bcm.edu. pp. 7 & 14. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "The Honor Roll". Chicago Tribune (Chicago). October 18, 2000. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Ross Ryan, Nancy (November 29, 2000). "Pick A Pepper". Chicago Tribune (Chicago). Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Official website
- John La Puma at the Internet Movie Database
- Cottage Health biography
- WebMD biography