John Lauritsen (born 1939) is a retired market research analyst, author, activist, and the founder of Pagan Press. With Warren Johansson and Wayne R. Dynes, Lauritsen criticized historian John Boswell's Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality (1980), arguing that Boswell had attempted to whitewash the historic crimes of the Christian Church against gay men.
Lauritsen wrote for the New York Native, where he argued against the connection between HIV and AIDS and questioned the safety of AZT. Lauritsen co-authored a book with Hank Wilson entitled Death Rush: Poppers and AIDS (New York: Pagan Press, 1986), in which they conjectured a connection between poppers and AIDS, especially Kaposi's sarcoma, an AIDS-related cancer. Lauritsen argues that poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, not his wife Mary Shelley, was the real author of Frankenstein (1818). He expounded this theory in his work The Man Who Wrote Frankenstein (2007), which received both favorable and negative reviews.
- The Early Homosexual Rights Movement (1864–1935) (with David Thorstad). Times Change Press, 1974. ISBN 978-0878100415
- Religious Roots of the Taboo on Homosexuality; a Materialist View. Come! Unity Press, New York, 1974
- Death Rush: Poppers And AIDS (with Hank Wilson). Pagan Press, 1986 ISBN 9780943742052
- Poison by Prescription: The AZT Story (foreword by Peter Duesberg). Asklepios, 1990. ISBN 9780810826755
- The AIDS War: Propaganda, Profiteering, and Genocide from the Medical-Industrial Complex. Asklepios, 1993 ISBN 9780943742083
- The AIDS Cult: Essays on the Gay Health Crisis (as editor, with Ian Young). Asklepios, 1997 ISBN 9780943742083
- A Freethinker's Primer of Male Love. Pagan Press, 1998 ISBN 0943742110
- The Man Who Wrote Frankenstein. Pagan Press, 2007 ISBN 9780943742151
- A Freethinker in Alcoholics Anonymous. Pagan Press, 2014 ISBN 9780943742236
- Cleaver, Richard (1995). Know My Name: A Gay Liberation Theology. Westminster John Knox Press. p. 93. ISBN 9780664255763.
- Homosexuality, Intolerance, and Christianity: A Critical Examination of John Boswell's Work
- Lauritsen, John (1 June 1987). "First Things First: Some Thoughts on the "AIDS Virus" and AZT". New York Native (215). p. 14. Archived from the original on 5 February 2016.
- Duesberg, Peter (1998). Inventing the AIDS Virus. Regnery.
- Griffin, Gabriele (2000). Representations of HIV and AIDS. Manchester University Press. ISBN 9780719047114.
- Farber, Celia (June 1991). "AIDS: Words From the Front". SPIN. SPIN Media LLC. p. 64. ISSN 0886-3032. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Lauritsen, John; Wilson, Hank (1986). Death Rush: Poppers & AIDS. Pagan Press.
- Paglia, Camille (2007-03-14). "Hillary vs. Obama". Salon. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Greer, Germaine (2007-04-09). "Yes, Frankenstein really was written by Mary Shelley. It's obvious - because the book is so bad". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- Lauritsen, John (2012). Religious Roots of the Taboo on Homosexuality: A Materialist View (electronic version) (PDF). Pagan Press Books. Archived from the original on 5 February 2016.