This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LeCompt performing in 2007
|Birth name||John Charles LeCompt|
|Born||March 10, 1973|
Little Rock, Arkansas, US
|Genres||Heavy metal, alternative metal|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, mandolin|
|Associated acts||Mourningside, Machina, Evanescence, We Are the Fallen, Kill System, Mindrage, Even Devil Die|
|Website||John LeCompt Twitter|
John Charles LeCompt (born March 10, 1973) is an American musician who has been part of the Little Rock heavy metal music scene since the mid-1990s. He has been associated with a number of bands, ranging from the unknown and unsigned to multi-platinum sellers, most notably the alternative metal band Evanescence. One of his main collaborators is long-time friend Rocky Gray, who is often John's bandmate in various group projects. They both are now members of the rock bands We Are the Fallen and Machina.
His first commercial endeavor was the Christian metal band Mindrage, in which he performed as both lead vocalist and lead guitarist. Enlisted for the project was Nick Williams on bass and Chad Wilburn on drums. Mindrage signed to Bulletproof Records and in June 1998 recorded the studio album Sown In Weakness, Raised In Power, consisting of eleven tracks. Their second album was a split EP with band Nailed Promise featuring four tracks released on Pluto Records. For this album, Justin Carder replaced Wilburn on drums.
LeCompt later joined with then-Living Sacrifice guitarist Rocky Gray to form what would be known as Kill System, alongside Chad Moore (Soul Embraced) on bass, Allen Robson (Becoming Saints) on guitar, and Lance Garvin (also of Living Sacrifice & Soul Embraced) on drums. While the project never obtained an official distribution deal and despite LeCompt's history of a heavier music style, Kill System evolved into something more melodic and became a favorite among fans.
LeCompt eventually joined back up with Rocky Gray to collaborate with Gray's band Soul Embraced. LeCompt played guitar during many of the band's live shows, and was the featured vocalist on the track "Seems Like Forever" on the album, Immune.
LeCompt uses a variety of guitars, both electric and acoustic. For electric, he uses a number of ESP models, including the F-300FM, EC-1000, Viper-301, Viper Custom, Grynch, PC-1V PW, SC608B, H-301 and H-307. His acoustic guitars include the Yamaha CPX900 and LJX6C models. For amplification, he stated that he uses a Mesa Stiletto Deuce.
- "Carly Smithson to join forces with ex-Evanescence musicians to become the Fallen". LA Times. June 18, 2009. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- LeCompt, John (October 3, 2006). "Evanescence To Appear on Late Night With Conan O'Brien". EvBoard.com. Retrieved 2007-04-03.
- Former EVANESCENCE Members Sign MACHINA Deal With ROGUE RECORDS – September 12, 2012 http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179346
- Album Review of Machina's "To Live and Die in the Garden of Eden" http://pittsburghmusicmagazine.com/2012/10/17/machinas-to-live-and-die-in-the-garden-of-eden/
- "Guitar & Bass Artists – John LeCompt". Yamaha. Retrieved 2007-03-28.