USNS John Lewis (T-AO-205)
|Awarded:||30 June 2016|
|Builder:||National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego, California|
|Laid down:||2018 est.|
Design and construction
Secretary of the Navy Raymond E. Mabus, Jr. announced the assignment of the name John Lewis to T-AO-205 on 6 January 2016. According to the Naval Vessel Register, construction was authorised for the first six ships in the class on 30 June 2016. She is named for United States Representative and civil rights leader John Lewis. The contract price for John Lewis is $640,206,756. The John Lewis class will be equipped with a basic self-defense capability, including crew served weapons, degaussing, and Nixie Torpedo decoys, and has space, weight, and power reservations for Close In Weapon Systems such as SeaRAMs, and an Anti-Torpedo Torpedo Defense System.
Other ships in class
- USNS John Lewis (T-AO-205) - Georgia politician and activist John Lewis.
- USNS Harvey Milk (T-AO-206) - LGBT activist Harvey Milk.
- USNS Earl Warren (T-AO-207) - Chief Justice of the United States Earl Warren.
- USNS Robert F. Kennedy (T-AO-208) - U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy.
- USNS Lucy Stone (T-AO-209) - Women’s right activist Lucy Stone.
- USNS Sojourner Truth (T-AO-210) - Abolitionist and women’s rights activist Sojourner Truth.
- Henry J. Kaiser-class - predecessor class
- DANFS 2016.
- NAVSEA Shipbuilding Support Office (7 July 2016). "JOHN LEWIS (AO 205)". Naval Vessel Register. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "SECNAV Mabus Names First T-AO(X) Next Generation Oiler After Rep. John Lewis" USNI News, January 6, 2016
- "Secretary of the Navy Announces First Ship of Next Generation Fleet Replenishment Oilers, USNS John Lewis" United States Department of Defense Press Release, January 6, 2016
- GlobalSecurity 2016.
- "Navy John Lewis (TAO-205) Class Oiler Shipbuilding Program: Background and Issues for Congress" (PDF). fas.org. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "NASSCO starts construction of first John Lewis class oiler". Marine Log. 21 September 2018. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- Sam LaGrone (28 July 2016). "Navy to Name Ship After Gay Rights Activist Harvey Milk". US Naval Institute. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- GlobalSecurity (22 July 2016). "T-AO 205 John LewisT-AO(X) Fleet Replenishment Oilers". GlobalSecurity.org. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- DANFS (13 January 2016). "John Lewis (T-AO-205)". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Naval History and Heritage Command. Retrieved 3 August 2016. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
|This article about a specific ship or boat of the United States Armed Forces is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|