John M. Ball
Sir John Ball
|Born||19 May 1948|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
University of Sussex
|Awards||Whittaker Prize (1981)|
Junior Whitehead Prize (1982)
David Crighton Medal
Sylvester Medal (2009)
King Faisal International Prize (2018)
University of Oxford
|Doctoral advisor||David Eric Edmunds|
Sir John Macleod Ball Sedleian Professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Oxford. He was the President of the International Mathematical Union from 2003–06 and a Fellow of Queen's College, Oxford.(born 19 May 1948) is a British mathematician and former
Ball's research interests include elasticity, the calculus of variations, and infinite-dimensional dynamical systems. He was knighted in the New Year Honours list for 2006 "for services to Science". He is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters and a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
He was a member of the first Abel Prize Committee in 2002 and for the Fields Medal Committee in 1998. From 1996 - 1998 he was president of the London Mathematical Society, and from 2003 - 2006 he was president of the International Mathematical Union, IMU. In October 2011 he was elected on the Executive Board of ICSU for a three-year period starting January 2012. Ball is listed as an ISI highly cited researcher.
He is married to Lady Sedhar Chozam-Ball, actor, and has three children.
- "CV" (PDF). John M. Ball. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- John M. Ball at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood" (PDF). BBC. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- "Gruppe 1: Matematiske fag" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-03.
- "The Abel Committee 2003/2004". www.abelprize.no.
- "Highly Cited Researchers - The Most Influential Scientific Minds". HCR.
- Biographical sketch, retrieved 2014-12-20.
- "King Faisal Prize".
- "Annual Report 1998". www.ma.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Professor Sir John Macleod Ball FRS FRSE - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 20 December 2017.