John M. Ball
John M. Ball
Sir John Macleod Ball
|Born||19 May 1948|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
University of Sussex
|Awards||Whittaker Prize (1981)|
Junior Whitehead Prize (1982)
David Crighton Medal
Sylvester Medal (2009)
King Faisal International Prize (2018)
University of Oxford
|Doctoral advisor||David Eric Edmunds|
Sir John Macleod Ball FRS FRSE (born 1948) is Sedleian Professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Oxford. He was the President of the International Mathematical Union from 2003–06 and a Fellow of Queen's College, Oxford. He was educated at the University of Cambridge and Sussex University, and prior to taking up his Oxford post was a professor of mathematics at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh.
Ball's research interests include elasticity, the calculus of variations, and infinite-dimensional dynamical systems. He was knighted in the New Year Honours list for 2006 "for services to Science". He is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters and a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
He was a member of the first Abel Prize Committee in 2002 and for the Fields Medal Committee in 1998. From 1996 - 1998 he was president of the London Mathematical Society, and from 2003 - 2006 he was president of the International Mathematical Union, IMU. In October 2011 he was elected on the Executive Board of ICSU for a three-year period starting January 2012. Ball is listed as an ISI highly cited researcher.
- "CV" (PDF). John M. Ball. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- John M. Ball at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood" (PDF). BBC. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- "Gruppe 1: Matematiske fag" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-03.
- "List of ISI highly cited researchers".
- Biographical sketch, retrieved 2014-12-20.
- King Faisal International Prize 2018
- "Annual Report 1998". www.ma.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Professor Sir John Macleod Ball FRS FRSE - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|