John M. Cowley
John Maxwell Cowley
February 18, 1923
|Died||May 18, 2004(aged 81)|
|Doctoral advisor||Bertram Eugene Warren|
|Doctoral students||Zhong Lin Wang|
|Influenced||John C. H. Spence|
John Maxwell Cowley (18 February 1923 – 18 May 2004) was an American Regents Professor at Arizona State University. The John M. Cowley Center for High-Resolution Electron Microscopy at Arizona State is named in his honor.
John Cowley was an extraordinarily productive scientist over more than five decades. He made pioneering contributions in the fields of electron microscopy, diffraction and crystallography, all of which brought him widespread recognition. He received the highest awards of the International Union of Crystallography, the Electron Microscopy Society of America and the American Crystallographic Society, and he was honored by election to Fellowship of the Australian Academy of Science, The Royal Society of London, and the American Physical Society. His monograph Diffraction Physics remains the standard reference in the field. His ideas, enthusiasm and basic understanding of electron optics and diffraction phenomena provided a valued source of leadership to many generations of students and co-workers, and he was universally admired by his peers and colleagues as a great and inspiring scientist.
- Moodie, A.; Spence, J. C. H. (2006). "John Maxwell Cowley. 18 February 1923 -- 18 May 2004: Elected FRS 1979". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 52: 29. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2006.0005.
- Moodie, A. (2004). "John M. Cowley FAA FRS (1923–2004)". Acta Crystallographica Section A. 61: 122–124. Bibcode:2005AcCrA..61..122M. doi:10.1107/S0108767304029484.
- "AAS Biographical Memoir". Australian Academy of Science. Archived from the original on 2013-08-06.
- Venables, J. A.; Hembree, G. G.; Drucker, J.; Crozier, P. A.; Scheinfein, M. R. (2005). "The MIDAS project at ASU: John Cowley's vision and practical results". Journal of Electron Microscopy. 54 (3): 151–62. doi:10.1093/jmicro/dfi038. PMID 16123069.
- Sumio Iijima (2005) In Memory of the late Professor John M. Cowley, Microscopy Volume 54, Issue 3, Pp. 149 doi:10.1093/jmicro/dfi050
- John M. Cowley (1975) Diffraction physics (North-Holland, Amsterdam) ISBN 0-444-10791-6
- Ichinose, H.; Smith, D. J. (2005). "Foreword". Journal of Electron Microscopy. 54 (3): 147. doi:10.1093/jmicro/dfi059.