John H. McCall MacBain, OC (born c. 1958), a Canadian citizen, is the founder of the McCall MacBain Foundation and Pamoja Capital SA, its investment arm. Prior to founding the McCall MacBain Foundation, he studied at Harvard and Oxford University, as well as developing an entrepreneurial career as the founder of Trader Classified Media.
McCall MacBain is a Rhodes Scholar and received an MBA from Harvard Business School (1984), an MA in Law from Oxford University and an Honours BA in Economics from McGill University (1980) as well as an hLD from Dalhousie University in Canada (2010). He was president of the McGill Students' Society, as well as valedictorian. While at Oxford, he was co-captain of the university ice hockey team. Also went to school with Brian Smith. 
From 1987 to 2006, McCall MacBain was the founder, president and CEO of Trader Classified Media, the world's leading classified advertising company. Starting with his purchase of three small publications in Montreal in 1987 when he was 29 years old, he developed the classified business to include 500 print titles and 57 internet sites in over 20 countries, including in Argentina, Australia, China, France, Hungary, Italy, Russia and Spain. After its IPO in 2000, Trader Classified Media was publicly traded on NASDAQ and the Euronext Paris Stock Exchange. In 2006, McCall MacBain sold Trader Classified Media and set up the McCall MacBain Foundation.
Prior to founding Trader Classified Media, he worked from 1984-1987 as director of marketing at Power Financial.
McCall MacBain currently devotes his time to non-profit activities. Since its formation in Geneva, Switzerland, in 2007, the McCall MacBain Foundation has made tens of millions of dollars of grants to fund projects relating to health, education and the environment in Canada, Europe and sub-Saharan Africa, primarily in the West African country of Liberia. In addition to his role as a director of the foundation, he is a trustee of the Rhodes Trust (Oxford) which was established in the early 1900s to fund and oversee the Rhodes Scholarships worldwide and the Mandela Rhodes Foundation (Cape Town). McCall MacBain is also a founder and chairman of the European Climate Foundation, a non-profit organization promoting energy policies to reduce Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions and to help Europe play a stronger role in mitigating climate change. McCall MacBain is a member of the Advisory Board of the Center for Environmental Law and Policy at Yale, a trustee of the Trudeau Foundation in Canada, a Foundation Fellow of Wadham College, Oxford, and a member of the Chancellor's Court of Benefactors of Oxford University.
McCall MacBain, a Canadian Rhodes Scholar in 1980, has been a trustee of the Rhodes Trust since June 2010, and chaired the 110th anniversary celebrations for the Rhodes Scholarships. In September 2013, during the Rhodes 110th anniversary celebrations, he donated $120 million to Rhodes Scholarships, to help fund the current scholarships and to aid in the expansion of the program to Brazil, China, Japan and Russia. He was named Second Century Founder of the Rhodes Scholarships in honor of this transforming gift. He was honored in 2014 as a Fellow of the Chancellor's Court of Benefactors at Oxford University, at Rhodes House where his portrait hangs and a room bears his name. The McCall MacBain Graduate Centre at Wadham College, Oxford, was endowed by him.
On June 30, 2016, MacBain was named an Officer of the Order of Canada by Governor General David Johnston for "his achievements as a business leader and for his contributions to academic institutions as a philanthropist." 
- "DS live : Course de lEscalade Genève 2014". www.datasport.com/. Retrieved 2015-10-08.
- "John McCall MacBain". www.trudeaufoundation.ca. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "McCall MacBain Foundation: About". www.mccallmacbain.org. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "Pamoja Capital: About". www.pamojacapital.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "Small ads, big news - Telegraph". London: telegraph.co.uk. 2005-06-05. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "A to Z Encyclopaedia of Ice Hockey". www.azhockey.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "John MacBain - The Classified Ad King". www.canadianbusiness.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "History of Trader Classified Media". www.fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "The Mandela Rhodes Trustees". www.mandelarhodes.org. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "European Climate Foundation". www.europeanclimate.org. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "External Board of Advisors". envirocenter.yale.edu. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "John McCall MacBain recognised for his leadership and philanthropy". www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "The Rhodes Trust and Trustees - The Rhodes Scholarships". Rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk. 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Rhodes Scholarship gets donation of $120 million". Kansas City Star. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Giving it up for Cecil". The Economist. 2013-09-21. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Second Century Founder - The Rhodes Scholarships". Rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk. 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Two Rhodes Scholars honoured at the Chancellor's Court of Benefactors - The Rhodes Scholarships". Rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk. 2014-10-10. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Record breaking donation by Wadham alumnus secures a bright future for Rhodes scholars". Wadham.ox.ac.uk. 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "John and Marcy McCall MacBain - Loran Scholars Foundation". Loran Scholars Foundation - Fondation Boursiers Loran. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- Globe and Mail Staff (June 30, 2016). "Canada's Honour Roll". Globe and Mail.