John Mack Faragher
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in 1945, he was raised in southern California, the oldest of eight children. Several of his siblings have been in the music business, including Danny Faragher, Jimmy Faragher, Tommy Faragher, Davey Faragher, Pammy Faragher, and Marty Faragher. He graduated from the University of California, Riverside in 1967, did social work for several years, then graduated from Yale University with a Ph.D. in 1977. He taught at Mount Holyoke College from 1978 to 1993; then at Yale University from 1993 until his retirement as Howard R. Lamar Professor Emeritus of History and American Studies in 2016. With Mari Jo Buhle, Daniel Czitrom, and Susan Armitage he is author of Out of Many, A History of the American People.
- 1980 Frederick Jackson Turner Award of the Organization of American Historians for Women and Men on the Overland Trail
- 1987 Annual Book Prize, Society for Historians of the Early American Republic for Sugar Creek
- 1993 Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Biography for Daniel Boone
- 1995 Governor's Award, State of Kentucky, for Daniel Boone
- 2001 Caughey Western History Association Prize for the Best Book in Western History, for The American West
- 2000 Western Heritage Award, National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, for The American West
- 2017 Norman Neuerburg Award, Historical Society of Southern California, for Eternity Street
- Women and Men on the Overland Trail. Yale University Press. 1979. ISBN 978-0-300-08924-0. (reprint 2001)
- Sugar Creek: Life on the Illinois Prairie. Yale University Press. 1986. ISBN 978-0-300-04263-4.
- Daniel Boone: The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer. Henry Holt & Company. 1993. ISBN 978-0-8050-3007-5.
- John Mack Faragher, ed. (1996). The encyclopedia of colonial and revolutionary America. Da Capo Press. ISBN 978-0-306-80687-2.
- John Mack Faragher, ed. (1998). The American Heritage Encyclopedia of American History. Henry Holt & Company. ISBN 978-0-805-04438-6.
- Robert V. Hine, John Mack Faragher (2000). The American West: A New Interpretive History. Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-07835-0.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- A Great and Noble Scheme: The Tragic Story of the Expulsion of the French Acadians from their American Homeland. W. W. Norton & Company. 2005. ISBN 978-0-393-05135-3.
- Robert V. Hine, John Mack Faragher (2007). Frontiers: A Short History of the American West. Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-11710-3.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Eternity Street: Violence and Justice in Frontier Los Angeles. W. W. Norton & Company. 2016. ISBN 978-0-393-24242-3.
- Robert V. Hine, John Mack Faragher, Jon T. Coleman (2017). The American West: A New Interpretive History. Second Edition. Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-23178-6.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|