Mallee and Astros second baseman José Altuve in May 2014.
|Born: John Daniel Mallee|
May 5, 1969
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
John Daniel Mallee (pronounced "MAY lee") (born May 5, 1969) is an American baseball coach, and former professional baseball player. He played in minor league baseball as a shortstop and a second baseman. He has previously been the hitting coach of the Florida Marlins, Houston Astros, Chicago Cubs, and Philadelphia Phillies baseball teams.
Early and personal life
He married Candy Wiedeman in 1995, and has two sons, John III and Austin.
Mallee was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 10th round of the 1991 amateur draft, out of University of Illinois. He played in minor league baseball from 1991 to 1992 in the Philadelphia Phillies minor league system, for Rookie League Martinsville (1991) and Single-A Spartanburg (1992). Mallee hit .208/.313/.257 with 8 stolen bases and 28 RBIs in 115 career minor league games, playing 95 games at shortstop and 20 games at second base.
He began his coaching career with Milwaukee as the hitting coach for Beloit (A, 1996-97; 99), Stockton (A, 1998), and Huntsville (AA, 2000). He was then the minor league hitting coach for the Montreal Expos at Ottawa (AAA, 2001).
On October 9, 2014, he was named by the Chicago Cubs as their major league hitting coach, succeeding Bill Mueller. On October 26, 2017, the Cubs announced that Mallee had been released from his contract and Chili Davis was named as his replacement.
On November 10, 2017, he was hired as the hitting coach of the Philadelphia Phillies under manager Gabe Kapler. On August 13, 2019, after a slump in which the Phillies fell from first place to fourth place in the NL East, he was replaced by former Phillies manager Charlie Manuel.
- "John Mallee statistics". Baseball Reference. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Coach Bio" | MLB.com
- "John Mallee"
- Stephens, Bailey (June 23, 2010). "New coaches familiar to organization". MLB.com. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- Casella, Paul (October 19, 2012). "Trembley, Mallee join Porter's coaching staff". MLB.com. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Cubs hire Mallee as hitting coach". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 9, 2014. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Cubs make changes: Chili Davis the new hitting coach, John Mallee out". Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- Town, John (10 November 2017). "Phillies hire John Mallee as hitting coach, announce two other coaches". That Ball's Outta Here. FanSided. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- ""Manuel returns as Phillies' hitting coach"". Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Stockburger, George (13 August 2019). "Phillies hire Charlie Manuel to replace John Mallee as hitting coach". That Ball's Outta Here. FanSided. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
| Florida Marlins Hitting coach
2010-2011 (fired during 2011)
Ty Van Burkleo
| Houston Astros Hitting coach
| Chicago Cubs Hitting coach
| Philadelphia Phillies Hitting coach
2018–2019 (fired Aug. 13, 2019)