John Mason (schoolmaster)
Jonathan Anthony Mason (born in Dehradun, India on January 10, 1945) is an Indian educationist. He has served as the Headmaster of several major public schools, including St. James' School, Kolkata, the Modern High School in Dubai, and the Doon School. He also served as House Master at La Martiniere College, Kolkata before moving to St. James' School, Kolkata as its Principal.
Although usually known as John Mason, his real name is Jonathan Anthony Mason. He was educated at La Martiniere, Calcutta, where he won the Good Conduct Medal, and Jadavpur University, where he graduated Master of Arts in English.
Mason has taught in and headed several schools during his career. These include his own old school, La Martiniere, St James' School, Kolkata, and the Varkey group of schools in the United Arab Emirates. In 1996, he took over from Shomie Das as headmaster of The Doon School, remaining there until May 2003, to be succeeded by Kanti Bajpai. Mason then returned to the Varkey Group and was managing a number of schools of the group in the UAE. He was also a member of the Standing Committee on Examinations of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations,
John Mason has written several English textbooks for Indian schools:
- Using Grammar Book 1 (1997)
- Using Grammar Book 2 (1997)
- Using Grammar Book 3 (1997)
- ISC English Practice Papers (2001)
- New! Learning To Communicate: An innovative multi-skill course in English (with co-authors Paul Gunashekar and S K Ram )
- "Riding The Riverdale High". www.outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "The ICS Experience | ICS International". Icscareersonline.com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Das, Rajrupa (2011-11-16). "War of words". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Forbes India Magazine - Didi’s Great Bong Dream Team". Forbesindia.com. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Pandey, Jhimli Mukherjee (16 December 2004). Rs 100-cr school to match world's best, The Times of India
- Malik, Ashok (2001-04-23). "India Today Magazine". India-today.com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Oxford University Press: New! Learning To Communicate". Oup.co.in. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Education venture poised for regional expansion. Gulf News, 28 August 2003
- John Mason, author biography by Oxford University Press, India
- J A Mason. About the Authors. Oxford University Press
|Head master of The Doon School