||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
John Mattick, pictured in 2014
|Born||John Stanley Mattick
1950 (age 66–67)
|Education||St Patrick's College Strathfield|
|Known for||Assigning function to non-coding DNA|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science|
John Stanley Mattick AO, FAA (born 1950, Sydney) is an Australian molecular biologist known for his efforts to assign function to non-coding DNA. Mattick has been the director of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research since January 2012.
Mattick received his high school education at St Patrick's College Strathfield. He obtained his Bachelor of Science from the University of Sydney and his PhD in biochemistry from Monash University. Subsequently, he worked at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, the CSIRO Division of Molecular Biology in Sydney, and the The University of Queensland, where he was based between 1988 and 2012.
Mattick has also worked at the Universities of Cambridge, Oxford, Cologne and Strasbourg. He was Foundation Director of the Australian Genome Research Facility, two ARC Special Research Centres and the Institute for Molecular Bioscience.
In 2007 he was elected an Associate Member of the European Molecular Biology Organisation and in 2008 elected a fellow of the Australian Academy of Science. More recently, he was awarded the Julian Wells Medal by the Lorne Genome Society in 2009 and the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB) Medal in 2011. He received the HUGO Chen Award for Distinguished Achievement in Genetic and Genomic Research in 2012, the same year he was appointed Executive Director of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research.
Mattick was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia in 2001 for service to scientific research in the fields of molecular biology, genetics and biotechnology, particularly through the development and administration of research institutes and the Australian Genome Research Facility.
- "Prof John Mattick". Staff Research Profile. Garvan Institute. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Phillips, Nicky (13 March 2012). "Making something of junk earns geneticist top award". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Garvan announces appointment of next Executive Director" (Press release). Garvan Institute. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Geneticist Rewarded for His Assumptions, Following Practical and Its Findings". United States: Top News. 13 March 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "MATTICK, John Stanley: Officer of the Order of Australia". It's an Honour. Australian Government. 11 June 2001. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
|This Australian scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|