|General Sir John McColl
KCB, CBE, DSO
McColl at the opening of the Millennium Town Park in Saint Helier, 2011
|Lieutenant Governor of Jersey|
26 September 2011
|Preceded by||Lieutenant General Sir Andrew Ridgway|
|Born||17 April 1952|
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Distinguished Service Order
Mentioned in Despatches
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
|Years of service||1973–present|
|Commands||1 Mechanised Brigade
3rd Mechanised Division
Sierra Leone Civil War
War in Afghanistan
General Sir John Chalmers McColl KCB, CBE, DSO (born 17 April 1952) is the current Lieutenant Governor of Jersey, sworn in on 26 September 2011. McColl previously served as Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe from 2007 to 2011.
Educated at Culford School, McColl was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Royal Anglian Regiment in 1973 and promoted to lieutenant on 8 September 1974. He was promoted to captain on 8 March 1979 and to major on 30 September 1984. In 1989 he became a squadron commander in the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, was promoted to lieutenant-colonel on 30 June 1990 and to acting colonel shortly after. He was promoted to colonel on 30 June 1995 and to brigadier on 31 December 1996 (seniority 30 June). He held a variety of commands and military posts before commanding 1 Mechanised Brigade in 1997. In 1999 he became Assistant Chief of Staff at Land Command and in 2000 he was given command of 3rd (UK) Mechanised Division. In 2001 he was appointed the first leader of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan.
In March 2004 he was deployed as Senior British Military Representative and Deputy Commanding General, Multinational Force, Iraq and at the end of that year he became Commander of Regional Forces at Land Command.
He was the preferred choice of Afghanistan for the role of U.N. super envoy after they rejected Paddy Ashdown. However, on 7 March 2008 Norwegian diplomat Kai Eide was appointed as the UN representative for Afghanistan. He retired as DSACEUR in March 2011.
Lieutenant Governor of Jersey
Honours and awards
- The London Gazette: . 16 April 1973. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- General McColl visits Culford Culford School, 21 September 2007
- The London Gazette: . 2 December 1974. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 20 March 1979. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 16 October 1984. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 3 July 1990. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 4 July 1995. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 14 January 1997. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "John McColl Profile on". BBC News. 2001-12-19. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- Oxford Leverhulme biography
- Senior Officer appointments Archived 10 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Ashdown pulls out of Afghan role". BBC News. 27 January 2008. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- Leithead, Alastair (28 March 2008). "UN's new Afghan envoy begins work". BBC News. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- New Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe Appointed Natsource, 29 September 2010
- Sir John McColl named as is Jersey Lieutenant Governor BBC News, 26 October 2010.
- "Jersey Lieutenant Governor Gen Sir John McColl sworn in". BBC News. 26 September 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Lieutenant Governor represents Jersey at St Paul's". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Chalmers McColl.|
|New title||Commander of the International Security Assistance Force
Hilmi Akin Zorlu
|General Officer Commanding the 3rd Mechanised Division
|Commandant of the Joint Services Command and Staff College
|Senior British Military Representative
and Deputy Commanding General, Multinational Force, Iraq
March 2004 – October 2004
|Commander Regional Forces
|Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe
Sir Andrew Ridgway
|Lieutenant Governor of Jersey