John McDowell (footballer)
|Date of birth||7 September 1951|
|Place of birth||East Ham, London, England|
|1969–1979||West Ham United||249||(8)|
|–||England Under 23||13||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
McDowell was a first-team regular for West Ham United for ten years, missing only the 1976–77 season due to injury. He played as a defender, replacing Billy Bonds as right-back after the latter had switched to midfield. He made his league debut in October 1970 against Blackpool. McDowell joined Norwich City in August 1979 for £20,000, making his debut in a 4–2 win at Everton on 18 August 1979. He made 45 appearances for the club, scoring one goal.
He left Norwich in May 1982 to become assistant manager at Bristol Rovers.
- Hogg, Tony (2005). Who's Who of West Ham United. Profile Sports Media. p. 132. ISBN 1-903135-50-8.
- John McDowell, Norwich City FC, sporting-heroes.net, retrieved 1 January 2007
- John McDowell biography, Flown From The Nest, retrieved 1 January 2007
- John McDowell at westhamstats.info
|This biographical article related to association football in England, about a defender born in the 1950s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|