John McGee (politician)
|Member of the Idaho Senate
from District 10
December 1, 2004 – February 22, 2012
|Preceded by||Ron McWilliams|
|Succeeded by||Jim Rice|
January 27, 1973 |
Early life and career
John McGee is a lifelong resident of Caldwell, ID. He graduated from Vallivue High School in 1991 and received a BA in History from the College of Idaho in 1995. He was elected student body president at both institutions. McGee and his wife, Hanna, have been married since 2005 and live in Caldwell with their daughter Madalyn and son, Maxwell. McGee served the citizens of Caldwell, Greenleaf and Wilder of District 10 in the Idaho State Legislature. He was first elected in 2004 when he beat an incumbent senator in the Republican primary election and ran unopposed in the general election. He was named 2006 Idaho State Republican Legislator of the Year. John McGee resigned from the Idaho State Senate on February 22, 2012.
On June 19, 2011, Ada County police officers arrested McGee for grand theft auto and driving under the influence. He had been playing golf at the 2011 Hillcrest Invitational golf tournament and drank at the golf course that night. He later stole an SUV attached to a utility trailer, drove it through a residential neighborhood, and jack-knifed the truck and trailer in a resident's front yard. At the time of arrest his blood alcohol content was reported at a .15, compared to the legal limit in the state of .08. On July 1, 2011, McGee pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI. The felony theft and felony operation of a vehicle without consent charges were dropped. The court sentenced McGee to 180 days in jail, with all but five days suspended, serve three days community service and pay fines and restitution.
On July 11, 2011, McGee, chairing a meeting of the Canyon County Republican Central Committee, created controversy when he cut off debate on a resolution calling for the investigation of the medical claims McGee raised as a defense to his criminal charges. McGee sent the resolution to an internal committee, which he also chairs, for review. Several days later, on July 16, 2011, the Republican Central Committee for the State of Idaho approved a no-confidence motion on McGee.
On February 22, 2012, McGee, submitted his letter of resignation to the Idaho State Senate, amid sexual harassment charges asserted by a female senate staffer.
On August 21, 2012, McGee, pleaded guilty to probation violation and a disturbing the peace charge related to sexual harassment that occurred at the Idaho State Capital Building. Fourth District Magistrate James Cawthon sentenced McGee to 44 days in jail for disturbing the peace and 44 days for violating terms of his probation stemming from the 2011 drunken driving conviction.
McGee served on the following committees:
- Local Government & Taxation Committee
- State Affairs Committee
- Transportation Committee
- Chairman of the Canyon County Republicans
- Member of the Caldwell Rotary Club
- Board of Directors of the 2009 International Special Olympics
- Regional Substance Abuse Authority Legislative Committee
McGee has received:
- Distinguished Service Award from the National Association of Agriculture Educators
- 2004 Canyon Co. Republican of the Year
- Distinguished Service Award from the National Association of State Foresters
- Idaho Agricultural All Star Award (2005–2009)
- COMPASS Leadership in Motion Award
- 2009 Transportation Leader of the Year from Treasure Valley Women in Transportation
- Friend of Community Healthcare Centers by the Idaho Primary Care Association
- 2006 Idaho State Republican Legislator of the Year
- 2006 Idaho Young Republican of the Year
- Council of State Governments Toll Fellow in 2007
- "McGee for Idaho". McGeeforIdaho.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Coffman, Mitch (2011-08-05). "Sen. John McGee to take leave of absence from College of Idaho Board of Trustees". IdahoReporter.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "State Sen. John McGee arrested for drunken driving, grand theft". Idaho Statesman. 2011-06-19. Archived from the original on 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "Sen. McGee Pleads Guilty". Idaho Statesman. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Sen. John McGee stalls Canyon GOP inquiry". Idaho Statesman. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Idaho GOP approves no-confidence motion for McGee". Idaho Statesman. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Idaho State Sen. John McGee Resigns". 2012-02-22. Archived from the original on 2012-03-03. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Judge comes down hard on John McGee". 2012-12-22. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Idaho State Legislature - Senate Membership Archived 2010-12-30 at the Wayback Machine.