John Mitchell (musician)
Mitchell in Outhouse Studios
|Born||21 June 1973|
|Genres||Neo-Progressive rock, progressive rock|
|Occupation(s)||Music producer, Songwriter|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, keyboards, bass, violin|
|Associated acts||It Bites, Arena, Frost*, Kino, A, The Urbane, Lonely Robot.|
A multi-instrumentalist who predominantly sings and plays guitar, Mitchell is best known as the current frontman for British prog-pop band It Bites (having replaced original singer and guitarist Francis Dunnery in 2006). Mitchell has also played guitar for a number of other progressive rock bands including Arena, The Urbane, Kino, Frost*, and the John Wetton band. In 2008, Mitchell was drafted in to join A, playing bass in place of original bass player Daniel P. Carter to support The Wildhearts on their December UK tour, as well as a ten-date headline tour in 2009. In 2012, Mitchell toured with Martin Barre in his band "New Day", singing lead vocals on many of the Jethro Tull songs.
Mitchell is also a record producer and sound engineer at Outhouse Studios, a recording studio in Reading, UK, where he has recorded and produced music for a number of rock bands including Enter Shikari, You Me At Six, Lower Than Atlantis, Architects, The Blackout, Kids In Glass Houses, Funeral for a Friend, My Passion, Exit Ten, I Divide, Ivyrise, Anavae, Touchstone, Your Demise and You And What Army.
Mitchell's latest music project is a solo project called Lonely Robot, whose album 'Please Come Home' was released on 23 February 2015. It features a number of guest artists including Peter Cox, Steve Hogarth, Jem Godfrey, Nik Kershaw, and British actor Lee Ingleby. A follow up album, 'The Big Dream' was released in April 2017.
Mitchell is also the co-owner and co-founder of White Star Records, an independent record label which focuses on prog rock artists. Mitchell released his EP, 'The Nostalgia Factory', on White Star Records in 2016.
With The Urbane
- Neon (1999)
- Glitter (2003)
- The Cry (1997) (EP)
- Welcome To The Stage (1997) (live)
- The Visitor (1998)
- Immortal? (2000)
- Breakfast In Biarritz (2001) (live)
- Contagion (2003)
- Contagious (2003) (EP)
- Contagium (2003) (EP)
- Live & Life (2004) (live)
- Pepper's Ghost (2005)
- Ten Years On (2006) (compilation)
- The Seventh Degree Of Separation (2011)
- Contagion Max (2014)
- The Unquiet Sky (2015)
- Milliontown (2006)
- Experiments In Mass Appeal (2008)
- FrostFest Live CD (2009) (live)
- The Philadelphia Experiment (2010) (live)
- The Rockfield Files (2013) (DVD)
- Falling Satellites (2016)
With Blind Ego
- Mirror (2007)
With It Bites
- When The Lights Go Down (2007) (live)
- The Tall Ships (2008)
- This Is Japan (2010) (live)
- It Happened One Night (2011) (live)
- Map of the Past (2012)
With Gandalf's Fist
With Lonely Robot
- Please Come Home (2015)
- The Big Dream (2017)
- The Nostalgia Factory (2016)
Mitchell primarily uses Cort Guitars - white and black G254s on stage, and for recording, a tobacco G210 and a blue/black G290. He also plays an Alvarez Yairi acoustic guitar in the studio, and a PRS Classic. John's rack setup consists of a Marshall JMP1 Preamp with effects being produced by a vintage Korg A3 effects unit. This signal is then amplified by a Marshall Valvestate 80/80 power amp to a 4 x 12 Marshall cab.
- Interview with John Mitchell (It Bites)"
- "A" vs The Wildhearts!, December 2008" Archived 6 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "Outhouse Studios client list"
- It Bites, Arena and Frost* man launches Please Come Home in February"
- "Lonely Robot announces second studio album 'The Big Dream' - John Mitchell". John Mitchell. 2017-02-15. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "John Mitchell on the birth of White Star Records". 2016-03-15. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- Teamrock News: Donockley, Nolan, Stevens guest with Gandalf’s Fist
- GANDALF'S FIST - A Forest of Fey (2014) at ProgArchives.com