John Monckton (town clerk)
|Sir John Braddick Monckton|
8 July 1832|
Maidstone, Kent, England, UK
|Died||3 February 1902
Cranley Gardens, Middlesex, England, UK
|Known for||lawyer, civil servant, Town Clerk of London|
|Parent(s)||John Monckton, Eliza Whitmore ?|
|Relatives||Lionel Monckton (son)|
Sir John Braddick Monckton FSA (8 July 1832 – 3 February 1902) was a British lawyer and civil servant, then Town Clerk of London for 30 years until his death. He was elected Town Clerk of London after the death of Frederick Woodthorpe on 17 July 1873 and served until 3 February 1902, his death date. The "Remembrancer" officiated during vacancy until the next Town Clerk was elected on 1 May 1902.
He represented the 'Guild of Saddlers of the City of London' in 1875.
He was a Master of 'Worshipful Company of Coachmakers and Coach Harness Makers of London' in 1893 & 1894.
His parents were John Monckton (born about 1803 in East Peckham (Kent) - died September 1886 in Maidstone, Kent, England and Eliza Whitmore (maiden name unknown). He was one of ten children growing up on King Street, Maidstone, Kent, England.
- Ralph Crepyn, town clerk of London
- John Carpenter, town clerk of London
- John Sadler (1615-1674), town clerk of London
- Monckton Genealogy
- He is mentioned in the will of his son and his son's obit. Will probated 16 April 1924, CGPLA Eng. & Wales
- Libraries, Archives and Guildhall Art Gallery, "The Town Clerk", p. 74, from the - www.lma.gov.uk London Metropolitan Archives, [City of London, 40 Northampton Road, London EC 1R 0HB
- Monckton Genealogy - 1851 English Census Record info.
- Sherwell, John William - "Sadler's Company (London, England)" 1889. Full text at: https://archive.org/stream/descriptivehisto00sher/descriptivehisto00sher_djvu.txt
- The Worshipful Company of Coachmakers & Coach Harness Makers of London - http://www.coachmakers.co.uk/committee/show/pagename/masters
- Fades Genes - John Monckton Case Ancestry - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trish.dixon/JohnMoncktonCASE.htm
- National Portrait Gallery - http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person.php?LinkID=mp69947
- Oviatt Library - Francis Gilbert Webb Collection of Correspondence, 1769-1934 - Call No. ML90 .F73 1769 - http://library.csun.edu/Collections/SCA/SC/FG/fdgds7a.html
- Hyperion Records - Bio note: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/c.asp?c=C416
- Brompton Cemetery Brompton Cemetery website
|Town Clerk of London
1873 – 1902
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Monckton (town clerk).|