John Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich
John Edward Hollister Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich (born 11 April 1943) is a British entrepreneur, politician and nobleman.
Montagu is the eldest son of Victor Montagu, who disclaimed the earldom of Sandwich in 1964, and his first wife Maud Rosemary (née Peto). He succeeded his father in the earldom in 1995 and is one of the ninety elected hereditary peers that remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999. He sits as a crossbencher and speaks mainly on international development and asylum issues.
Taking advantage of the fame of one of his ancestors, John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich (after whom the sandwich was named in the 18th century), Montagu licensed the use of his title for a chain of sandwich shops, Earl of Sandwich. These are located in various parts of the USA, including Disney Springs Marketplace in Walt Disney World Resort, under an agreement chiefly with Robert Earl, founder of the Planet Hollywood chain.
Marriage and children
Montagu married (Susan) Caroline Hayman, daughter of the Reverend Canon Perceval Hayman, on 1 July 1968. She is a former business journalist and policy expert at the European Commission, specialising in the Middle East. She is a committee member of a number of organisations promoting links with the region, including the Saudi British Society, and is a senior adviser for Women in Business International. She is also active in a number of organisations in Dorset, including the Heritage Lottery Fund's South West Committee and the Beaminster Festival, and serves as President of the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society.
They have three children:
- Luke Timothy Charles Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke (born 5 December 1969). He married Julie Fisher from Chicago, Illinois, on 11 June 2004. Luke is helping to raise Julie's daughter and son from a previous marriage, and they have two sons:
- The Hon. Orlando William Montagu (born 16 January 1971). He married the model Laura Roundell in 1996, and they divorced in 2002, having had no children. On 3 July 2004, Montagu married Lady Honor Wellesley, eldest daughter of 9th Duke of Wellington, with whom he has two children:
- Walter Frederick Montagu (b. 3 December 2005).
- Nancy Jemima Montagu (b. January 2007).
- Lady Jemima Mary Montagu (born 14 October 1973). In 2013, she married Fisnik Abrashi.
|Ancestors of John Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich|
- "COMMITTEE MEMBERS OF THE SAUDI–BRITISH SOCIETY". Saudi-British Society.
- " Hon William James Hayman Montagu" birth announced on Peerage News group on Google Groups on 7 November 2005, based on birth notice in Daily Telegraph on 6 November 2004.( Retrieved 10 August 2007).
- Lundy, Darryl (10 July 2004). "Hon. Orlando William Montagu". The Peerage. Retrieved 10 August 2007.[unreliable source]
- Michael Rhodes. "Walter Frederick Montagu" birth announced on Peerage News group on Google Groups on 6 December 2005, based on birth notice in Daily Telegraph the same day. Retrieved 10 August 2007().
- "Abrashi/Montagu marriage". Peerage News.
- Kidd, Charles,; Williamson, David, eds. (1990). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage. New York: St Martin's Press.
- Lundy, Darryl. "11th Earl of Sandwich". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Sandwich
- The Earl of Sandwich article on its opening at The Disney Corner
- Earl of Sandwich link to the website for the restaurant Earl of Sandwich
|Peerage of England|
(disclaimed title 1964)
|Earl of Sandwich
Luke Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke