John Moses (priest)
|The Very Revd
KCVO DUniv PhD BA(Hons)
|Dean of St Paul's|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|In office||November 1996–31 August 2006|
|Other posts||Provost of Chelmsford
Archdeacon of Southend
John Macquarrie Professor of Anglican Theology at Graduate Theological Foundation
|Alma mater||Nottingham University|
Moses' last service as dean was a Sung Eucharist on 12 July 2006. It was attended by over 2,000 friends, family, colleagues and invited guests including The Duchess of Gloucester, The Baroness Thatcher and the Lord Mayor of London.
Moses was educated at Ealing County Grammar School for Boys, a state grammar school, (now Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College) in West London, followed by the University of Nottingham and Trinity Hall at the University of Cambridge. He then studied at Lincoln Theological College, where he was ordained in 1964.
Life and career
Moses became an assistant curate of St Andrew's Bedford, then the rector of the Coventry East Team Ministry and the rural dean of Coventry East. In 1977 he was appointed the Archdeacon of Southend, also serving as the Bishop of Chelmsford's Officer for Industry and Commerce, Chairman of the Diocesan Retreat House and Chairman of the Diocesan Advisory Committee. In 1982 he became the Provost of Chelmsford before becoming Dean of St Paul's in 1996. He has published a number of books including The Sacrifice of God (1992) and A Broad and Living Way (1995). In 1992 he was appointed the first rector of Anglia Ruskin University. In 1997 he was made an Honorary Doctor of the University.
Holders of the Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO) are usually entitled to be called "Sir"; however, as he is a British cleric, Moses only use the post-nominals of "KCVO". Other honorable titles held by Moses include Brother of the Order of St. John and Officer of the Order of Istiqlal of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- The Sacrifice of God: A Holistic Theory of Atonement, Norwich: Canterbury Press, 1994 (ISBN 1853110566, ISBN 978-1-85311-056-6)
- A Broad and Living Way: Church and State -- A Continuing Establishment, Norwich: Canterbury Press, 1995 (ISBN 978-1853111129)
- The Desert: An Anthology for Lent, Morehouse Publishing, 1997 (ISBN 978-0819217288)
- One Equall Light: An Anthology of the Writings of John Donne (ed) Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2003 (ISBN 9780802827722)
- The Language of Love: Exploring Prayer: An Anthology, Canterbury Press, 2013 (ISBN 9781853117831)
- BBC report
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-05-29.