|Years active||1975 — present|
|Known for||Military Affairs|
Brigadier John Mugyenyi is a military officer in Uganda. He is a senior commander in the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF). As of August 2014[update], he is undeployed. Brigadier Mugyenyi is reported to be heavily invested in construction, real estate, luxury hotels and apartment houses, as well as in financial institutions. He is one of the wealthiest individuals in Uganda.
He has previously served as the Director of the Joint Anti-Terrorist Taskforce (JATT), a rapid response, counter-terrorism unit within the UPDF. Previous to that, in 2001, he served as a military intelligence officer and was instrumental in defeating rebels belonging to the People's Redemption Army (PRA). He also previously served as the Commanding Officer of the Entebbe Airport Aviation Security, where his unit was active against drug smugglers. In the 1990s he was one of the commanders in the Ituri conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. In January 2005, he was retired from the Army at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and he has been mainly focused on his businesses, in construction and finance. In January 2013, he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier.
John Mugyenyi is a married father. He is of the Christian faith.
- Simon Musasizi, and Abu-Baker Mulumba (17 June 2009). "UPDF Officer Gives Up Kisekka Market Bid". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- Michael Kanaabi, and Ssebidde Kiryowa (2012). "The Deepest Pockets". New Vision Mobile. Archived from the original on 21 October 2014. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Henry H. Ssali, . (2 March 2008). "Uganda: Colonel Mugyenyi, The Silent Tycoon". Daily Monitor via AllArica.com. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Osike, Felix (31 January 2005). "Otafiire, Muhwezi Become Generals". New Vision. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- David T Lumu, . (29 August 2011). "MPs Want Bassajja, Colonel Mugyenyi, To Refund Shs156 Billion". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- Kasasira, Risdel (1 January 2013). "90 UPDF Soldiers Get Promotion". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 8 August 2014.