John Nevill, 5th Marquess of Abergavenny
|The Marquess of Abergavenny|
|Born||8 November 1914|
|Died||23 February 2000(aged 85)|
|Title||Marquess of Abergavenny|
|Tenure||30 March 1954 – 23 February 2000|
|Other titles||9th Earl of Abergavenny
5th Earl of Lewes
9th Viscount Nevill
|Successor||Christopher Nevill, 6th Marquess|
|Spouse(s)||Dame Patricia Nevill, Marchioness of Abergavenny (DCVO); née Mary Patricia Harrison|
|Issue||Anne Patricia Nevill
Vivienne Margaret Nevill
Jane Elizabeth Nevill
Henry John Montague Nevill
|Parents||Guy Larnach-Nevill, 4th Marquess of Abergavenny
Isabel Nellie Larnach
In 1936, he became an officer in the service of the Life Guards and fought in the Second World War, was invested as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1945, and rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 1946.
On 4 January 1938, he married Mary Patricia Harrison, later Dame Patricia Nevill, Marchioness of Abergavenny (DCVO)
- Lady Anne Patricia Nevill (b. 25 October 1938), married Captain Martin Whiteley and had issue.
- Lady Vivienne Margaret Nevill (b. 15 February 1941), married Alan Lillingston and had issue.
- Lady Jane Elizabeth Nevill (1944–1946), died in infancy.
- Henry John Montague Nevill, Earl of Lewes (1948–1965), died young.
- Lady Rose Nevill (b. 15 July 1950), married George Clowes and had issue.
Lord Abergavenny was an Honorary Colonel of the Kent Yeomanry 1949–1961, and of the Kent and County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) 1961–1962. He was a member of East Sussex County Council between 1947 and 1954 and County Alderman for East Sussex between 1954 and 1962. He was also Deputy Lieutenant of Sussex in 1955, Vice-Lieutenant of Sussex between 1970 and 1974 and later the first Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex from 1974 to 1989.
Aside from his army and political career, Lord Abergavenny was also a Director of Massey-Ferguson between 1955 and 1985; a Director of Lloyds Bank between 1962 and 1985; Chairman of Lloyds Bank South-East Regional Board between 1962 and 1985; and a Director of Whitbread Investment.
Lord Abergavenny became a Knight of St John in 1976, a Knight of the Garter in 1974, and was Chancellor of that Order between 1977 and 1994. In 1986, he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Laws from the University of Sussex.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Abergavenny
- Portraits of John Nevill, 5th Marquess of Abergavenny at the National Portrait Gallery, London
The Duke of Norfolk
|Her Majesty's Representative at Ascot
Sir Piers Bengough
|New title||Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex
Sir Lindsay Bryson
The Viscount Cobham
|Chancellor of the Order of the Garter
The Lord Carrington
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Marquess of Abergavenny