John Nevin Sayre
The Reverend John Nevin Sayre, (February 4, 1884 - September 13, 1977), brother of US State Department official Francis B. Sayre, Sr., was an Episcopal minister, peace activist, and author. He was an active member of the Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) and helped found the Episcopal Peace Fellowship.
Sayre promoted peace and supported conscientious objectors throughout the world through magazines he edited (The World Tomorrow and Fellowship), books that he wrote, and various peace organizations he belonged to or founded.
Later, Sayre's brother Francis had Alger Hiss reporting to him at the State Department, then declined to testify on Hiss's behalf.
- Applebaum, Patricia Faith (2009). Kingdom to Commune: Protestant Pacifist Culture Between World War I and the Vietnam Era. Chapel Hill, N.C: University of North Carolina Press. p. 148.
- Lumpkin, Grace (1995) . To Make My Bread. University of Illinois Press. pp. introduction. ISBN 0-252-06501-8.
- Chambers, Whittaker (1952). Witness. Random House. pp. 265–266. ISBN 0-89526-571-0.
- Weinstein, Allen (1978). Perjury: The Hiss-Chambers Case. Knopf. pp. 91, 96. ISBN 0-394-49546-2.
- Janet, Lee (1999). Comrades and Partners: The Shared Lives of Grace Hutchins and Anna Rochester. Rowman and Littlefield. p. 153. ISBN 0-8476-9620-0.
- Meier, Andrew (2008). The Lost Spy. W. W. Norton. p. 373. ISBN 0-393-06097-7.
- Episcopal Church - John Nevin Sayre Award (1979)
- Swarthmore College - John Nevin Sayre: Records, 1885-1982; (bulk, 1922-1967)
- Thomas Merton Center - Thomas Merton's Correspondence with: Sayre, John Nevin, 1885-1982
- Pennsylvania Center for the Book - John Nevin Sayre
- New York Times - Marriage Announcement (November 17, 1913)
- FOR - 85 Years of the FOR
- FOR - Noble Endeavor: Memoir of FOR in the 20th Century
- FOR - Living in an Extraordinary Time
- FOR - Is War Good for Nonviolence?
- Episcopal Peace Fellowship (EPF)
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|