A book reviewer for the New Left Review he is also author of numerous books and articles, as well as studies of science fiction and of the cinema. He teaches on both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Newsinger assisted as a historical consultant on the BBC TV series on Scotland and the Empire. He has been guest speaker at the Folkestone Literary Festival (2006), guest speaker at the Brighton Holocaust Memorial Conference and Plenary Speaker at the Socialist Historians' Conference in London (2007). He is a member of the following historical societies: Society for the Study of Labour History; Irish Labour History Society; Military History Society of Ireland; and the US Military History Society.
- Fenianism in Mid-Victorian Britain (1994)
- Dangerous Men: The SAS and Popular Culture (1997)
- Shaking the World: John Reed's Revolutionary Journalism (editor) (1999)
- Orwell's Politics (1999)
- The Dredd Phenomena: Comics and Contemporary Society (1999)
- United Irishman: The Memoirs of James Hope (editor) (2000)
- British Intervention and the Greek Revolution (2002)
- British Counterinsurgency: from Palestine to Northern Ireland (2002)
- Rebel City: Larkin, Connolly and the Dublin Labour Movement (2004)
- The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire (2006) [second edition:2013]
- Cambridge Companion to George Orwell (2007) - a chapter on George Orwell and the Holocaust
- Fighting Back - the American Working Class in the 1930s (2012).
- Jim Larkin and the Great Dublin Lockout of 1913 (2013).
- Them and Us : Fighting the Class War 1910-1939 (2015).
- Sylvia Pankhurst, the Easter Rising and the Woman's Dreadnought (2016)
- The Revolutionary Journalism of Big Bill Haywood : On the picket line with the IWW (2016).
- 1917: Russia's Red Year (with Tim Sanders) (2016)
- Hope Lies in the Proles: George Orwell and the Left (2018, forthcoming).
- Newsinger, John (March–April 2005). "English atrocities | Reviews of the books, Histories of the Hanged by David Anderson and Britain's Gulag by Caroline Elkins". New Left Review. Vol. II no. 32. New Left Review.
- "Profile page: John Newsinger". bathspa.ac.uk. Bath Spa University. Archived from the original on 2007-11-14.
- Clough, Robert. "A dangerous view: The blood never dried". RCG. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "George Orwell and socialism - John Newsinger". 31 August 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Hoveman, Rob (20 August 2003). "Socialist Workers Party: For "reliable comrades" only". Weekly Worker. No. 492. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|