A book reviewer for the New Left Review he is also author of numerous books and articles, as well as studies of science fiction and of the cinema. He teaches on both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Newsinger assisted as a historical consultant on the BBC TV series on Scotland and the Empire. He has been guest speaker at the Folkestone Literary Festival (2006), guest speaker at the Brighton Holocaust Memorial Conference and Plenary Speaker at the Socialist Historians' Conference in London (2007). He is a member of the following historical societies: Society for the Study of Labour History; Irish Labour History Society; Military History Society of Ireland; and the US Military History Society.
- Fenianism in Mid-Victorian Britain (1994)
- Dangerous Men: The SAS and Popular Culture (1997)
- Shaking the World: John Reed's Revolutionary Journalism (editor) (1999)
- Orwell's Politics (1999)
- The Dredd Phenomena: Comics and Contemporary Society (1999)
- United Irishman: The Memoirs of James Hope (editor) (2000)
- British Intervention and the Greek Revolution (2002)
- British Counterinsurgency: from Palestine to Northern Ireland (2002)
- Rebel City: Larkin, Connolly and the Dublin Labour Movement (2004)
- The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire (2006) [second edition:2013]
- Cambridge Companion to George Orwell (2007) - a chapter on George Orwell and the Holocaust
- Fighting Back - the American Working Class in the 1930s (2012).
- Jim Larkin and the Great Dublin Lockout of 1913 (2013).
- Them and Us : Fighting the Class War 1910-1939 (2015).
- Sylvia Pankhurst, the Easter Rising and the Woman's Dreadnought (2016)
- The Revolutionary Journalism of Big Bill Haywood : On the picket line with the IWW (2016).
- 1917: Russia's Red Year (with Tim Sanders) (2016)
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|