John Nolan (musician)
John Nolan playing in Straylight Run on April 7, 2005 at the Irving Plaza in NYC
February 24, 1978 |
Rockville Centre, Nassau County, New York, United States
|Genres||Indie, alternative rock, pop punk, post-hardcore|
|Instruments||Vocals guitar, keyboards, piano,|
|Associated acts||Straylight Run, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New|
John Thomas Nolan (born February 24, 1978) is an American musician from Long Island, New York. He is the current guitarist and co-lead vocalist of Taking Back Sunday, and the former lead singer, pianist, and guitarist of Straylight Run.
Nolan left Taking Back Sunday in 2003 and during March 2010 rejoined Taking Back Sunday with Shaun Cooper, who left during his first run with the band, reforming the Tell All Your Friends-era lineup. John Nolan is also a solo artist and has recorded an album called Height and "Live at Looney Tunes."
John Thomas Nolan was born in Rockville Centre, Nassau County, New York, United States. As member of the band Taking Back Sunday he performs lead guitar, vocals and keyboards, in Straylight Run he performs lead vocals, piano, and guitar.
Taking Back Sunday
In 1999, John was recruited into Taking Back Sunday by Jesse Lacey. He later would invite Adam Lazzara to join the band. In 2002 the band would release Tell All Your Friends. He would leave the band in 2003 to pursue a different musical direction, along with personal differences with other band members.
In late March 2010 he and Shaun Cooper rejoined Taking Back Sunday. In 2011 the band released a self-titled album that peaked at number 17 on the Billboard 200. In 2014 the band released Happiness Is which debuted at number 10 in the Billboard 200 and went to number 1 on Billboard's top independent albums chart, Becoming John's highest charting album.
In 2003, John would go on to form Straylight Run with his sister Michelle DaRosa, drummer Will Noon and Taking Back Sunday bassist Shaun Cooper. In 2004 the band released their self-titled debut album which peaked at number 100 in the Billboard 200, and number 4 in the Billboard Independent Albums chart.
From 2004 to 2009 Straylight Run would release two albums and four EP's. The band's 2007 record, The Needles The Space would debut at number 72 in the Billboard 200, marking the band's highest position on that chart. The band's 2005 Prepare to be Wrong EP charted at number 168.
Nolan announced on his MySpace blog on May 1, 2009 that he had decided to work on some solo material, some of which can be found on his MySpace and Bandcamp profiles. His first solo album, Height, was released on October 27, 2009 on Doghouse Records. John toured the Midwest and east coast with Person L and Brian Bonz in November and in January with support from Gabriel the Marine and Ocean is Theory.
In 2014 Nolan provided the song "Here Comes the Wolf" to the soundtrack of the Jason Michael Brescia film, Bridge and Tunnel. The song was nominated for several awards in the film festival circuit, and was the recipient of "Best Original Song" at the 2014 Long Island International Film Expo. He also provides backup vocals and co-songwriting credit on the Gabriel the Marine track "Round and Round."
On July 27, 2015 Nolan released his second solo album, Sad, Strange, Beautiful Dream. The album was made possible by a successful PledgeMusic campaign.
With Taking Back Sunday:
- Taking Back Sunday EP (2001)
- Lullaby EP (2001)
- Tell All Your Friends (2002)
- Taking Back Sunday (2011)
- Happiness Is (2014)
With Straylight Run:
- Straylight Run (2004)
- Prepare To Be Wrong EP (2005)
- The Needles the Space (2007)
- Un Mas Dos EP (2008)
- About Time EP (2009)
- The Collaboration Experiment (2009)
- Height (2009)
- Live at Southpaw (2009)
- Live at Looney Tunes CDs (2010)
- Songs I Wrote (2010)
- Songs I Didn't Write (2010)
- Drinking Your Way To Confidence
- Street Robbery Blues (Punks in Vegas Session)
- American Nightclub 1999 (Punks in Vegas Session)
It has been noted that John uses a Fender Telecaster Deluxe due to the feel but prefers the sound of a Gibson Les Paul, he uses a Big Bite pedal into a Jcm800 to create his crunch tone. He also uses a Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline on occasion.
- Jacobson, Mark. "L.I.R.R (Long Island Rock 'n' Roll) The Budding Long Island Rock Scene". nymag.com.
-  Archived February 15, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Taking Back Sunday". Taking Back Sunday. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Wiederhorn, Jon. "Taking Back Sunday Knows What Happiness Is After 15 Years". music.yahoo.com.
- "Straylight Run Billboard Chart History".
- "Featured Content on Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "John Nolan | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "John Nolan". Johnnolanmusic.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Scancarelli, Derek. "UTG EXCLUSIVE: John Nolan Talks 'Bridge and Tunnel,' TBS, and Straylight Run". Underthegunreview.net. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Mansmann, Julie. "Bellmore rolls out the red carpet for LIIFE". liherald.com.
- Lantinen, Chris. "Tracjlisting for 'Bridge and Tunnel' Revealed". Modern-Vinyl.com.
- "Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Goodman, Jessica (March 18, 2014). "Taking Back Sunday Isn't Buying This Emo Revival". HuffingtonPost.com.
- Phillips, Jodi. "Taking Back Sunday Dominate Charlotte For Hometown Show". kiss951.cbslocal.com/.
- John Nolan (2015-08-17), John Nolan - Drinking Your Way To Confidence, retrieved 2016-08-17
- punksinvegaslv (2015-03-11), John Nolan of Taking Back Sunday "Street Robbery Blues" Punks in Vegas Stripped Down Session, retrieved 2016-08-17
- punksinvegaslv (2015-03-11), John Nolan of Taking Back Sunday "American Nightclub 1999" Punks in Vegas Stripped Down Session, retrieved 2016-08-17
- "Interview: Taking Back Sunday guitarists Eddie Reyes and John Nolan". Guitar World. May 25, 2011. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- (editor), James (January 10, 2012). "Interview with Eddie Reyes, Taking Back Sunday". Archived from the original on March 3, 2016.
- "Taking Back Sunday – John Nolan Guitar Rig Gear and Equipment". Uberproaudio.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.