|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly|
from the 89th district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||John Gard|
|Born||February 27, 1964|
John Nygren (born February 27, 1964) is an American insurance and financial services agent, former restaurateur, and Republican politician from Marinette, Wisconsin. He has served as a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly's 89th Assembly District (portions of Marinette, Oconto and Brown counties) since 2007. At the beginning of the 2013–2014 legislature, Nygren was named the Assembly Co-Chairman of the Joint Committee on Finance.
Nygren is a fourth generation resident of northeast Wisconsin. He graduated from Marinette High School in 1982, studied at the University of Wisconsin-Marinette, and worked in the restaurant industry for over 12 years, eventually becoming co-owner/operator of his own establishment. In 1998 he started work at Great Lakes Financial Management Group selling insurance and other financial services.
Nygren was chairman of the Marinette County Republican Party and served on the City of Marinette Recreation and Planning Board from 2003 to 2006. In the September 2006 primary election to succeed fellow Republican John Gard for the 89th District, Nygren narrowly defeated Gary Drzewiecki, with 2777 votes to Drzewiecki's 2740, and went on in November to defeat Democrat Randy Koehn. He was assigned to the standing committees on insurance, education, health and health care reform; and jobs and the economy
Nygren ran unopposed in the 2008 Republican primary, again faced Koehn in the general election, and again defeated him, 14,814 to 12,839. In 2010 he was again unopposed in the primary, and defeated Democrat Bob Orwig by 15,788 to 7,520.
2011 run for state Senate
In 2011, Nygren sought to run against incumbent Democratic state senator Dave Hansen, who was the subject of a recall election; but the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board ruled that he was two signatures short of the necessary 400 signatures on his nomination petition, and would not be on the ballot.
Nygren is married to Maggie, a family and consumer education teacher at Marinette High School, and they have three children. The Nygren family is active at Faith Lutheran Church. John serves as church elder, and previously spent four years as church president.
|Republican||John Nygren (incumbent)||16,081||59.05%||- 8.63%|
|Democratic||Joe Reinhard||11,129||40.87%||+ 8.63%|
|Republican||John Nygren (incumbent)||15,788||67.68%||+14.14%|
|Republican||John Nygren (incumbent)||14,814||53.54%||- 0.56%|
|Democratic||Randy Koehn||12,839||46.40%||+ 0.67%|
- "District map" (PDF). Legis.wisconsin.gov. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Barish, Lawrence S., ed. (2007). State of Wisconsin 2007 - 2008 Blue Book (PDF). Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau. p. 89. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "State Representative John Nygren". Legis.state.wi.us. 1964-02-27. Archived from the original on July 4, 2011. Retrieved June 27, 2011.
- Barish, Lawrence S., ed. (2009). State of Wisconsin 2009 – 2010 Blue Book (PDF). Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau. p. 925. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 19, 2013. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- ""2010 Fall General Election Results Summary – Post-Recount" Wisconsin Government Accountability Board" (PDF). Gab.wi.gov. December 7, 2010. p. 31. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "Judge refuses to put candidate back on recall ballot". Pierce County Herald. Archived from the original on October 4, 2011. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- State of Wisconsin 2013–2014 Blue Book. p.910.
- "WI GAB Candidates Registered by Office" (PDF).
- "2014 General Election Canvass Report" (PDF).
- "Marinette High School: Teachers > Maggie Nygren > About the Teacher". Mhs.marinette.k12.wi.us. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- State of Wisconsin 2011-2012 Blue Book pg. 909
- "Elections : Elections in Wisconsin" (PDF). Legis.wisconsin.gov. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 19, 2013. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "Elections : Marriage or Legal Status Recognized in Wisconsin" (PDF). Legis.wisconsin.org. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
|Non-profit organization positions|
| President of the United States Jaycees
|Wisconsin State Assembly|
| Wisconsin State Representative - 89th District
2007 – present