John P. Hayes
Hayes did his undergraduate studies at the National University of Ireland, Dublin, graduating in 1965. He went on to graduate studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, earning a masters degree in 1967 and a Ph.D. in 1970. After working in The Hague for Shell for two years, he returned to academia, taking a faculty position at the University of Southern California in 1972, and then moving to Michigan in 1982.
Hayes is the author of the books
- Digital System Design and Microprocessors (McGraw-Hill, 1984, ISBN 0-07-027367-7)
- Introduction to Digital Logic Design (Addison-Wesley, 1993, ISBN 978-0-201-15461-0)
- Computer Architecture and Organization (3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, 2002, ISBN 978-0-07-286198-3)
- Quantum Circuit Simulation (with George F. Viamontes and Igor L. Markov, Springer, 2009, ISBN 978-90-481-3064-1)
Hayes has written extensively on the use of hypercube graphs in supercomputing, He has also written highly cited research papers on fault-tolerant design, reversible computing, and stochastic computing.
Awards and honors
Hayes became an IEEE Fellow in 1985 "for contributions to digital testing techniques and to switching theory and logical design", and an ACM Fellow in 2001 "for outstanding contributions to logic design and testing and to fault-tolerant computer architecture." In 2004, the University of Illinois department of electrical and computer engineering gave him their distinguished alumni award.
- Faculty profile, Univ. of Michigan, retrieved 2012-02-20.
- Distinguished Alumni Award (2004): John P. Hayes (MSEE ’67, PhD ’70), Univ. of Illinois, retrieved 2012-02-20.
- Hayes, J. P.; Mudge, T. N.; Stout, Q. F.; Colley, S.; Palmer, J. (1986), "Architecture of a hypercube supercomputer", Proc. International Conference on Parallel Processing, pp. 653–660. Hayes, J. P.; Mudge, T.; Stout, Q. F.; Colley, S.; Palmer, J. (1986), "A microprocessor-based hypercube supercomputer", IEEE Micro 6 (5): 6–17, doi:10.1109/MM.1986.304707. Lee, T. C.; Hayes, J. P. (1992), "A fault-tolerant communication scheme for hypercube computers", IEEE Transactions on Computers 41 (10): 1242–1256, doi:10.1109/12.166602.
- Harary, Frank; Hayes, John P.; Wu, Horng-Jyh (1988), "A survey of the theory of hypercube graphs", Computers & Mathematics with Applications 15 (4): 277–289, doi:10.1016/0898-1221(88)90213-1, MR 949280.
- Hayes, J. P. (1976), "A Graph Model for Fault-Tolerant Computing Systems", IEEE Transactions on Computers C–25 (9): 875–884, doi:10.1109/TC.1976.1674712.
- Shende, V. V.; Prasad, A. K.; Markov, I. L.; Hayes, J. P. (2003), "Synthesis of reversible logic circuits", IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems 22 (6): 710–722, doi:10.1109/TCAD.2003.811448.
- Alaghi, A.; Hayes, J. P. (2013). "Survey of Stochastic Computing". ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems 12 (2s): 1. doi:10.1145/2465787.2465794.
- IEEE Fellow class of 1985, retrieved 2012-02-20.
- ACM Fellow award citation, retrieved 2012-02-20.