September 1, 1944 |
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Residence||Atlantic Beach, New York|
(m. 1975, divorced)
Melissa Parisella Keller Coveney (divorced)
|Children||Bethenny Frankel (step-daughter)
Gabrielle Parisella (w/Melissa)
John Parisella is an American horse trainer with 1,222 first-place finishes in 6,692 starts and $22,442,757 in career earnings. He is known for training the racehorses Fight Over and Simply Majestic.
Early life and career
Parisella was born in Brooklyn to an Italian Catholic family. Parisella started his career as an assistant to Tommy Gullo, a legendary betting trainer. His mentor was horse trainer John P. Campo. Later he became a full-fledge horse trainer training horses for his uncle Joe Scandore who managed horses for James Caan, Don Adams, Telly Savalas and Don Rickles.
Parisella pioneered the use of foreign horses, mostly from Canada and turning them into stakes winners. John also trained several stakes winners for owner Ted Sabarese in the 1980s.
Parisella has been married twice:
- In 1975, he married Bernadette Birk, the former wife of Jewish American horse trainer Robert J. Frankel. Parisella and Frankel were originally friends as well as competitors. Parisella raised his step-daughter Bethenny Frankel (Birk's daughter with Frankel) as his own child from the time she was five years old. Bethenny went on to become a reality TV star.
- He was also married to Melissa Parisella, with whom he has a daughter, Gabrielle (b. 1989). They divorced and Melissa has since re-married twice: first to American football player Mike Keller, with whom she had two children, and later to Robert Coveney.
- Equibase: Stats Central - Trainer Profile Page: John Parisella February 8, 2013
- BILL CHRISTINE (February 11, 1985). "It's a Slow Track for Racing : Sport of Kings Is Beset With Problems, Weak Management". Los Angeles Times.
- California Thoroughbred Association: "A Glorious Time: Simple Majestic" by ROBERT KNOLHOFF JR. retrieved February 9, 2013
- Horse Race Insider: "A Brooklyn Tale" November 18, 2009
- A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life By Bethenny Frankel p.28
- Bethenny Ever After Season 2 Episode 4 - It's My Baptism and I'll Cry if I Want To 1/4. 6:45: YouTube.
I went to Catholic school because my stepfather was Catholic
- John Pricci (November 18, 2005). "Campo Was A Diamond In the Rough". NBC Sports.
- BILL CHRISTINE (June 7, 1990). "HORSE RACING BELMONT STAKES : Outspoken New York Trainer Has Some Unbridled Opinions". Los Angeles Times.
- People: "Bethenny Frankel: Love Saved My Life" By LIZ MCNEIL July 19, 2010
- New York Daily News: "'Real Housewives of New York City' star Bethenny Frankel and husband Jason Hoppy separating" By Bill Hutchinson December 23, 2012
- LMU Lions website retrieved February 9, 2013
- Brian VanOchten (October 4, 2009). "Mike Keller's short stint with Cowboys on the field led to long career in sports marketing". The Grand Rapids Press.