John Paul Ruttan
John Paul Ruttan
|Born||May 12, 2001|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In 2012 he was nominated for the Best Performance in a Voice-Over Role at the 33rd Young Artist Awards for his work in the Doodlebops Rockin' Road Show. In 2015 he became an award winning actor with Best Performance in a Feature Film for his supporting role as RoboCop's son David Murphy in the 2014 remake of RoboCop. In 2015 he won Best Lead Performance for Shelby: The Dog Who Saved Christmas.
Life and career
Ruttan was born in Toronto, Ontario. He had an early love for films and started acting at age 6, when he met with his current agent. By age 8 he had already starred in numerous television shows. In 2008 he appeared as a guest star on the Rick Mercer Report portraying a young Jack Layton, a Canadian NDP leader, on the episode "Election Kids". The following year Ruttan guest starred in the series Mighty Mama for CBC and guest starred in the Doodlebops Rockin' Road Show. Other television performances include Murdoch Mysteries, The Listener, and Degrassi: The Next Generation.
His introduction into movies were the television films The Two Mr. Kissels and Will you Merry Me?. In 2010 he performed in his first short-film, Ninety-one, written and directed by Jill Carter. Ruttan's feature film debut was in Defendor with Woody Harrelson in 2010, playing Young Jack Carter.
In 2012, Ruttan appeared in the role of Tom Hardy's character's son, Joe, in the feature film This Means War alongside Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine. Ruttan's performance in the film earned him a Young Artist Award nomination as Best Supporting Young Actor Age Ten and Under in a Feature Film. He has also has played Young William Murdoch on Murdoch Mysteries in 2014 and 2015.
|2008||Rick Mercer Report||Young Jack Layton||Episode: Election Kids|
|The Two Mr. Kissels||Boy|
|Will you Merry Me?||Boy|
|2009||Murdoch Mysteries||Thedore Jr||Episode: "Mild Mild West"|
|The Listener||Young Boy|
|Defendor||Young Jack Carter|
|Degrassi: The Next Generation||Pirate Boy||Season 9, Episode 8: Waiting for Girl Like You|
|2012||This Means War||Joe|
|I'll Follow You Down||Young Erol|
|Against the Wild 2: Survive the Serengeti||Ryan|
|Murdoch Mysteries||Young William Murdoch|
- Farquharson, Vanessa (February 11, 2012). "destined for hollywood". The National Post. pp. TO4. Retrieved Feb 9, 2012 – 2:51 PM ET. Check date values in:
- "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". Archived from the original on April 4, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "35th Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Archived from the original on 2015-09-11. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- "The Joey Awards".
- "Top Picks : John Paul Ruttan". Watch.ctv.ca. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Vanessa (9 February 2012). "On the Town with actor John Paul Ruttan". National Post.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Archived from the original on 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- TV.com (1969-05-16). "Murdoch Mysteries Cast & Crew". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.