John Paul Stevens High School
|John Paul Stevens High School|
600 North Ellison Drive
|School district||Northside Independent School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Brian T. Woods|
|Vice Principal||Wendy Reyes|
|Academic Dean||David Mayer|
|Assistant Principal||Oscar Garza|
|Color(s)||Red, silver and black|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class AAAAAA|
John Paul Stevens High School is one of nine public high schools in the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio, Texas, USA, located near SeaWorld San Antonio. As with all Northside ISD schools, the school is named for a United States Supreme Court justice, in this case John Paul Stevens, who attended the school's dedication in 2005. In 2017, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
In 1987, Pope John Paul II held mass on the site that later became Stevens High School. The service was part of his visit to San Antonio, and a monument sits near the school to commemorate the visit.
Stevens was built with funds from the voter approved 2001 Bond Issue. Designed by PBK Architects, it was built by Bartlett Cocke Contractors at a cost of $50 million. The 398,000-square-foot (37,000 m2), state of the art school building is two-story, and has an abundance of natural light.
As of Fall 2017, the enrollment at Stevens is capped at 3,000, and middle schools that would normally feed into Stevens now feed into Earl Warren High School and William Howard Taft High School (areas outside of Loop 1604 off Potranco and Military Roads).
The Stevens Falcons compete in the following sports:
- Cross Country
- Swimming & Diving
- Rynell Parson (Class of 2009) — Track and field athlete specializing in the 100 meters dash
- Mykkele Thompson (Class of 2011) — Professional American football player for the New Orleans Saints
- Marcus Davenport (Class of 2014) — Professional American football player for the New Orleans Saints
- William China (Class of 2018) — Professional American football player For San Antonio Commanders
- Northside ISD Superintendent
- UIL 2018-2020 Reclassification and Realignment
- Northside ISD History: The 2000's
- "TEA 2017 Accountability Reports". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Celebratory events mark 25 years since papal visit". San Antonio Express-News. September 8, 2012. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- John Paul II Mass Site Memorial
- Stevens High School: About Us
- The Athletics Department
- Rynell Parson LSU Bio
- Mykkele Thompson player profile at NFL.com
- UTSA signee Marcus Davenport says, ‘It’s time to get to work’
|This article about a high school in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|