John Petre, 18th Baron Petre
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Lord Petre
|Lord Lieutenant of Essex|
|Preceded by||The Lord Braybrooke|
|Succeeded by||Jennifer Tolhurst|
John Patrick Lionel Petre
4 August 1942
Marcia Gwendolyn Plumpton
(m. after 1965)
|Relations||Lionel Petre, 16th Baron Petre (grandfather)|
|Parents||Joseph Petre, 17th Baron Petre|
Marguerite Eileen Hamilton
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Oxford|
John Patrick Lionel Petre, 18th Baron Petre, Lord Lieutenant of Essex, succeeding Robin Neville, 10th Baron Braybrooke in October 2002. He is the 18th Baron of the Petre family, an old recusant family.(born 4 August 1942) is a British peer and landowner who was the
Petre was on 4 August 1942, the only child of Joseph William Lionel Petre, 17th Baron Petre (1914–1989) and Marguerite Eileen (d. 2003), daughter of Ion Wentworth Hamilton, of Westwood, Nettlebed, Oxfordshire. His father served in World War II as a 2nd Lt. in the Coldstream Guards and as a Capt. in the 5th Battalion, Essex Regiment. His father was the eldest child and only son of Lionel Petre, 16th Baron Petre, and his wife Catherine Boscawen, and succeeded to the title Lord Petre at only fifteen months old in 1915, after his father died in the First World War.
Upon the death of his father on 1 January 1989, he succeeded as the 18th Baron Petre.
Petre is associated with local organizations such as Essex Boys and Girls Clubs, Brentwood Arts Council; Brentwood Shakespeare Company; Ingatestone and Fryerning Horticultural Society, Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Ingatestone, Brentwood Theatre; Ingatestone and Fryerning Angling Club; CAB (Brentwood) Appeal Fund; Ingatestone and Fryerning Historical and Archeological Society; and patron of the Billericay based Hamelin Trust and the registered charity Grapevine Essex; Chairman of Trustees of the Ginge Petre Almshouses in Ingatestone High Street, President of Essex County Scouts, Stock and Buttsbury Heritage Society and St John Ambulance Essex.
He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant (DL) of Essex in 1991. He was appointed Commander of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem (CStJ), and was appointed Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO) in the 2016 Birthday Honours.
In December 2016, it was announced that Petre would deliver a Christmas message for the people of Essex. The message was initially broadcast on Essex TV on Christmas Eve. 
- Hon. Dominic William Petre (b. 1966), who married Marisa Verna Perry, daughter of Anthony J. Perry, in 1998.
- Hon. Mark Julian Petre (1969–2004)
- Hon. Clare Helen Petre (b. 1973), who married Ibrahim Azeem, of S Feydhoo, Maldives, in 2002.
- The Peerage - Royal Families Robin Henry Charles Neville; retrieved June 1, 2007.
- Dod's Parliamentary Companion, vol. 131, C. R. Dod, R. P. Dod, Dod's Parliamentary Companion Ltd, 1963, p. 194
- "Petre, Baron (E, 1603)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 23 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Townend, Peter, ed. (1963). Burke's Peerage (103rd ed.). Burke's Peerage Limited. p. 1925.
- Mosley, Charles, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes. Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003. p. 2003.
- "No. 61608". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 2016. p. B4.
- "TV channel Essex TV appeals for festive messages". Echo. 13 December 2016.
- "Ingatestone Hall Family Tree". www.ingatestonehall.com. Ingatestone Hall. Retrieved 23 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Profiled: Lord Lieutenant of Essex - John Petre, 18th Baron Petre". www.essex-tv.co.uk. Essex-TV. 6 December 2016. Retrieved 23 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- John Petre, 18th Baron Petre, Lord Lieutenant of Essex at Getty Images
- Family of Petre
- Petre Genealogy[unreliable source?]
The Lord Braybrooke
| Lord Lieutenant of Essex
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Petre