||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Also known as||Paramananda Das
|Genres||Punk rock, hardcore punk|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, graphic designer|
|Associated acts||Project X
Youth of Today
Last of the Famous
John 'Porcell' Porcelly (a.k.a. Paramananda Das) (Born February 3, 1967) is an American musician, graphic designer and yoga instructor. He is best known as the guitarist for the American 1980s hardcore bands Young Republicans, Violent Children, Youth Of Today and Judge. He also sang in Project X (under the pseudonym Slam), and has had stints in other bands such as Bold and Gorilla Biscuits. More recently he has played in bands like Shelter, Never Surrender and Last of the Famous.
He also wrote and published the fanzine War on Illusion and ran the record label/fanzine Schism along with Alex Brown (Gorilla Biscuits/Side By Side/Project X). Porcelly currently runs the record label Fight Fire with Fire.
In 2006, Bold reunited with Porcelly on second guitar and began a European tour while also writing and recording a new album. He also sang a live set of 80s straight edge cover songs with the Florida band Gator Bait at Florida's Significant Records Fest. The set included songs from his previous projects Youth of Today, Project X and Judge.
Prior to his joining of Shelter John Porcelly took interest in the spiritual movement 'International Society for Krishna Consciousness' and has maintained interest in it since; he is an active member of ISKCON. He is referred in ISKCON by his 'spiritual' name - "Paramananda Das". He has been a straight edge and a vegetarian for most of his life.
- "John Porcelly of Youth of Today, Judge, Project X and other bands". www.pmakid.com. November 2, 2011. Archived from the original on February 11, 2012.
- "YOUNG REPUBLICANS". Vice. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- True, Christopher M. "Biography: Youth of Today". AMG. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- Downey, Ryan J. "Biography: Judge". AMG. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- "Ex-YOUTH OF TODAY/JUDGE Member PORCELL Launches Straight-Edge Merchandise Company". Blabbermouth.net. December 8, 2008. Archived from the original on March 7, 2016.
- "Interview with Porcell". unitedxblood.blogspot.com. January 29, 2010. Archived from the original on July 14, 2017. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- Hyer, Preston David (January 12, 2003). "DISTRICT ELEVEN HXC - Interview with Porcell". www.districtelevenhxc.cjb.net. Archived from the original on February 25, 2003. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
|This article on a United States rock guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|