John Powers Middleton
John Powers Middleton
|Residence||Malibu, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Film producer, television producer|
|Employer||The Middleton Media Group, The Affleck/Middleton Project, Vertigo Entertainment, Good Universe, Warner Brothers Entertainment, Univision Radio|
John Powers Middleton (born January 1, 1984) is an American film and television producer. He began his film career as an executive producer for Oldboy (2013) before executive producing the A&E television series, Bates Motel (2013), and co-producing The Lego Movie (2014). Middleton's production company, The Affleck/Middleton Project, produced the film Manchester by the Sea (2016), which was nominated for six Oscars, including Best Picture. The film won Oscars for Best Original Screenplay and Best Actor. He was an executive producer on The Disaster Artist (2017), which was nominated for one Oscar and two Golden Globes, including Best Picture in a Musical or Comedy. The film won for Best Actor. Middleton's 2017 films grossed over $500 million and garnered over 130 award nominations.
John Powers Middleton is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is the son of John S. Middleton, the principal owner and general partner of the Philadelphia Phillies. Middleton attended The Haverford School and later enrolled at Duke University and The University of Pennsylvania prior to pursuing a career in film.
John Powers Middleton began his career as an intern, assistant, and script supervisor for a number of companies and productions before partnering with Roy Lee under his Vertigo Entertainment banner in the fall of 2010. In 2012, Middleton created and launched The Alfonso Aguilar Show, a 2-hour, drive time, nationally syndicated show on Univision Radio, and the first nationally syndicated conservative, Spanish language talk show in history. In February 2013, Middleton and Lee entered a joint venture with Joe Drake and Nathan Kahane to launch Good Universe, an independent full-service film financing, production, and global sales company.
John Powers Middleton and Casey Affleck formed a production company, The Affleck/Middleton Project, in June 2014. While running the production company, Middleton continued to produce with Vertigo Entertainment, Good Universe, Univision Radio, Warner Brothers Entertainment, and Fox 21 Television Studios, the latter of which he left for Warner Bros. Television.
Through these partnerships Middleton produced: The Lego Movie (2014), the A&E show Bates Motel, a reboot of the classic horror film Poltergeist, the Liam Neeson/Ed Harris thriller Run All Night, and Spike Lee's Oldboy, among others. He also worked on Manchester by the Sea, which starred his producing partner, Casey Affleck. The film was named the second best movie of 2016 by Rolling Stone, and 2016 film of the year by the National Board of Review. Middleton was a co-producer on The Lego Batman Movie (2017) and The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017), and has also worked on the new Stephen King adaptation of It. In the future, he will produce The Stand, many Lego film sequels and the film adaptation of the video game Minecraft. Middleton was an executive producer on The Disaster Artist (2017), which was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards, including Best Musical or Comedy Motion Picture. The film won for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. The film was also nominated at the 2018 Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay.
During the 2017 and 2018 award season, two of Middleton's five films received recognition, The Lego Batman Movie received a total of 41 nominations and The Disaster Artist received a total of 44 nominations across multiple categories and ceremonies.
Middleton has spent time in major donor fundraising, political strategy, the youth movement, and media, with his first effort in creating and producing The Alfonso Aguilar Show. John Powers Middleton served as national co-chair from age 25 to 26 of the Republican National Committee's Young Eagles program to serve young Republicans. In support of the Republican Party, John Powers Middleton has hosted a variety of events. This included an early summer 2015 fundraising event for Jeb Bush, a candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2016 presidential election.
|2014||The Lego Movie||Co-producer|
|2014||The Voices||Executive producer|
|2015||Run All Night||Executive producer|
|2016||Sleepless Night||Executive producer|
|2016||The Boy||Executive producer|
|2016||My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2||Executive producer|
|2016||Don't Breathe||Executive producer|
|2016||The Woods||Executive producer|
|2016||Manchester by the Sea||Executive producer|
|2017||Far Bright Star||Executive producer|
|2017||The Lego Batman Movie||Executive producer|
|2017||The Lego Ninjago Movie||Executive producer|
|2017||Death Row Chaplain||Executive producer|
|2017||Death Note||Executive producer|
|2017||Houses of Deceit||Executive producer|
|2017||The Disaster Artist||Executive producer|
|2018||The Stand||Executive producer|
|2013–present||Bates Motel||Executive producer (2013–2014)|
Consulting producer (2015–present)
|2012–present||The Alfonso Aguilar Show||Creator, producer|
- Ford, Rebecca. "Casey Affleck, John Powers Middleton's Production Company Hires John Ridley (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Donnelly (29 February 2016). "Oscar Winners 2016: See The Complete List".
- Debruge, Peter (2017-03-13). "Film Review: 'The Disaster Artist'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) - Box Office Mojo". www.boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- Franco, James (2017-12-08), The Disaster Artist, James Franco, Dave Franco, Ari Graynor, retrieved 2018-02-15
- "John Powers Middleton". IMBD. IMBD. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "John Powers Middleton". Middleton Media. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- Goldman, Laura. "Sen. Ron Johnson Will Be Stunned to Find Out Who's Behind 'The Lego Movie' Conspiracy". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Martin, Johnathan. "Alfonso Aguilar's Spanish talk-radio show debuts". American Principals Project. American Principles Project. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- McNary, Dave. "Middleton, Lee invest in Good Universe". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Run All Night". Warner Bros. Warner Bros. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Vertigo Entertainment Inks First Look Deal With Fox 21 For Cable Series". Deadline. Deadline. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- Chang, Justin. "Film Review: 'Run All Night'". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- ""Manchester by the Sea" Wins at the Oscars". Boston Magazine. 2017-02-26. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- Lapin, Andrew (2017-03-08). "Could Your Production Company Be Donating to Trump Without Your Knowledge?". IndieWire. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "20 Best Movies of 2016". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- Lang, Brent (2016-11-29). "'Manchester by the Sea' Named Best Film of the Year by National Board of Review". Variety. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "The Lego Batman Movie (2017) - Financial Information". The Numbers. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "'The Disaster Artist': Film Review | SXSW 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- CNN, Lisa Respers France,. "Golden Globes: The winners list". CNN. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY) NOMINEE | THE DISASTER ARTIST". oscar.go.com. Retrieved 2018-03-16.
- The LEGO Batman Movie, retrieved 2018-01-19
- The Disaster Artist, retrieved 2018-01-19
- "National Republican Committee" (PDF). Portland Mercury. Portland Mercury. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Right to Rise super PAC". Political Party Time. Political Party Time. Retrieved 19 November 2015.