March 3, 1945 |
Camden, Mississippi, United States
||Chicago blues, soul-blues, electric blues
||Singer, guitarist, songwriter
||Earwig Music, Wolf Records, various
John Primer (born March 3, 1945, Camden, Mississippi, United States) is an American Chicago blues and electric blues singer and guitarist.
He played guitar at Theresa's, a club in Chicago, between 1974 and 1980. He was influenced by Muddy Waters' former sideman, Sammy Lawhorn, who taught him to play slide guitar. He joined the Chicago Blues All-Stars of Willie Dixon in 1979, then the Muddy Waters's band until the latter's death in 1983. Then he joined the Teardrops of Magic Slim and began a solo career on Wolf Records.
In 1995 he released, The Real Deal, with songwriting and singing techniques showing the influence of both Dixon and Slim.
In 2013, Primer was the special guest on Shawn Holt & the Teardrops' debut recording, Daddy Told Me. Shawn Holt being Magic Slim's son.
In 2013 and 2014, Primer had a nomination for a Blues Music Award in the 'Traditional Blues Male Artist' category.
The Muddy Waters 100 album, recorded by Primer and various other artists, was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2016 for Best Blues Album.
- 1991 : Poor Man Blues (Wolf Records) with Magic Slim and Billy Branch
- 1992 : Stuff You Got to Watch (Earwig Music)
- 1992 : Blues Behind Closed Doors (Wolf Records) with Magic Slim and Billy Branch
- 1992 : 44 Blues by Magic Slim & The Teardrops (Wolf Records) with Bonnie Lee
- 1993 : Cold Blooded Blues Man (Wolf Records)
- 1994 : Easy Baby (Wolf Records) with the Teardrops
- 1995 : The Real Deal (Warner) with Billy Branch
- 1997 : Keep on Lovin' the Blues (Warner) with Matthew Skoller
- 1998 : It's a Blues Life (Wolf Records)
- 2000 : Knocking at Your Door (Telarc) with Larry McCray and Matthew Skoller
- 2003 : Blue Steel: A Tribute to Elmore James (Wolf Records) (cover album of Elmore James songs)
- 2008 : All Original (Blues House Productions)
- 2012 : Blues On Solid Ground (Blues House Productions)
- 2013 : Knockin' Around These Blues (Delta Groove Music) and Bob Corritore
- 2014 : John Primer & The Teardrops - Live - You Can Make It If You Try (Wolf Records)
- 2005 : Live at B.L.U.E.S (Chicago)