|Born||March 5, 1945|
Camden Mississippi, United States
|Genres||Chicago blues, soul-blues, electric blues|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, guitarist, songwriter|
|Labels||Blues House Productions|
He played guitar at Theresa's, a club in Chicago, between 1974 and 1980. He was influenced by Muddy Waters' former sideman, Sammy Lawhorn, who taught him to play slide guitar. He joined the Chicago Blues All-Stars of Willie Dixon in 1979, then the Muddy Waters's band until the latter's death in 1983. Then he joined the Teardrops of Magic Slim and began a solo career on Wolf Records.
In 1995 he released, The Real Deal, with songwriting and singing techniques showing the influence of both Dixon and Slim.
In 2016, Primer won a Blues Music Award as the 'Traditional Blues Male Artist of the Year'.
- 1991 : Poor Man Blues (Wolf Records) with Magic Slim and Billy Branch
- 1992 : Stuff You Got to Watch (Earwig Music)
- 1992 : Blues Behind Closed Doors (Wolf Records) with Magic Slim and Billy Branch
- 1992 : 44 Blues by Magic Slim & The Teardrops (Wolf Records) with Bonnie Lee
- 1993 : Cold Blooded Blues Man (Wolf Records)
- 1994 : Easy Baby (Wolf Records) with the Teardrops
- 1995 : The Real Deal (Warner) with Billy Branch
- 1997 : Keep on Lovin' the Blues (Warner) with Matthew Skoller
- 1998 : It's a Blues Life (Wolf Records)
- 2000 : Knocking at Your Door (Telarc) with Larry McCray and Matthew Skoller
- 2003 : Blue Steel: A Tribute to Elmore James (Wolf Records) (cover album of Elmore James songs)
- 2008 : All Original (Blues House Productions)
- 2012 : Blues On Solid Ground (Blues House Productions)
- 2013 : Knockin' Around These Blues (Delta Groove Music) and Bob Corritore
- 2014 : John Primer & The Teardrops – Live – You Can Make It If You Try (Wolf Records)
- 2016 : John Primer & The Real Deal Bluesband – Live – That Will Never Do (Wolf Records)
- 2017 : Ain't Nothing You Can Do! (Delta Groove Music) and Bob Corritore
- 2005 : Live at B.L.U.E.S (Chicago)
- Du Noyer, Paul (2003). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music (1st ed.). Fulham, London: Flame Tree Publishing. p. 181. ISBN 1-904041-96-5.
- Bill Dahl (March 3, 1945). "John Primer | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Russell, Tony (1997). The Blues – From Robert Johnson to Robert Cray. Dubai: Carlton Books Limited. p. 157. ISBN 1-85868-255-X.
- "Daddy Told Me - Shawn Holt & The Teardrops | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- "Shawn Holt & the Teardrops homepage". Shawnholtandtheteardrops.com. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- "Blues Music Awards Nominees – 2013 – 34th Blues Music Awards". Blues.org. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "2014 Blues Music Awards Nominees and Winners". Blues.about.com. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Muddy Waters 100 – John Primer | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Grammy Nominations 2016: See the Full List of Nominees". Billboard. December 7, 2015. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "2016 Blues Music Awards Winner List". Blues411.com. Archived from the original on May 6, 2016. Retrieved May 23, 2016.