John R. Cunningham
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John Robert "Jack" Cunningham, O.C. (born 1927) is a Canadian retired medical physicist noted for his contributions in the development of computerized radiation treatment planning dose calculations in radiation therapy.
Cunningham, known as Jack, received his B.Eng. in Engineering Physics (1950) and M.Sc. in Radiation Physics (1951) from the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. In 1955 he completed his Ph.D. from the University of Toronto in Physics. After working for the Canada's Defense Research Board, he became a staff Medical Physicist at Toronto's Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in 1958.
During his medical physics career, Cunningham published over 70 peer-reviewed papers, book chapters, and conference proceedings, and is widely known for co-authoring The Physics of Radiology (1953) with Dr. Harold E. Johns. The final fourth edition (1983) remains a staple in medical physics education for medical physicists, technologists, and physicians. He is a pioneer in developing computational techniques for calculating absorbed dose from radiation beams, and computer software and algorithms he developed continue to be used in both commercial and open source treatment planning systems. Upon retirement from clinical medical physics in 1989, Cunningham became a consultant with Theratronics/MDS Nordion (Kanata, Ontario) until 1998 when he moved to Camrose Alberta.
In 1988 he was awarded the highest award given by the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, the William D. Coolidge Award for his contributions to the field. In 2005, Cunningham was inducted as an Officer of the Order of Canada. In 2006, he received the Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists Gold Medal Award for "outstanding contribution[s] to the field of medical physics in Canada".
- "PubMed Search for JR Cunningham". NCBI. PubMed. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- Johns & Cunningham (1983). Physics of Radiology (4 ed.). USA: Charles C Thomas. ISBN 0-398-04669-7. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Cunningham, JR (1989). "Development of computer algorithms for radiation treatment planning". Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 16 (6): 1367–76. PMID 2722584.
- "William Coolidge Award, AAPM". American Association of Medical Physicists. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Cunningham, John. "Officer of the Order of Canada". Governor General.
- Cunningham, JR. "COMP Gold Medal Recipients". COMP-OCMP. Retrieved 25 January 2017.