John R. Saunders
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|John R. Saunders|
|23rd Attorney General of Virginia|
February 1, 1918 – March 17, 1934
|Preceded by||Josiah D. Hank, Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Abram P. Staples|
|Member of the Virginia Senate
from the 39th district
January 8, 1908 – January 9, 1918
|Preceded by||J. Boyd Sears|
|Succeeded by||J. Douglass Mitchell|
|Born||John Richard Saunders
December 9, 1869
King and Queen, Virginia, U.S.
|Died||March 17, 1934
Saluda, Virginia, U.S.
John Richard Saunders (December 9, 1869 – March 17, 1934) was an American lawyer and politician who served as Attorney General of Virginia from 1918 until his death in 1934. Prior to this, he was a member of the Senate of Virginia.
|Attorney General of Virginia|
|Nov 6, 1917||General||John R. Saunders||Democratic||-||-|
|Josiah D. Hank, Jr. did not seek reelection; seat stayed Democratic|
|Nov 8, 1921||General||John R. Saunders (inc.)||Democratic||-||-|
|Nov 5, 1929||General||John R. Saunders (inc.)||Democratic||183,793||63.73|
|Charles C. Berkeley||Republican||104,606||36.27|
|Nov 7, 1933||General||John R. Saunders (inc.)||Democratic||125,811||75.13|
|Clarence R. Ahalt||Republican||37,115||22.16|
|Herman R. Ansell||Socialist||4,526||2.70|
- Report of the Attorney General to the Governor of Virginia: Year 1918. Richmond: Virginia State Library. 1919. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Report of the Virginia State Library, Volumes 13-15. Richmond: Virginia State Library. 1918. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "1929 Attorney General General Election". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "1933 Attorney General General Election". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- John R. Saunders at The Virginia Elections and State Elected Officials Database Project, 1776-2007
- John R. Saunders at Find a Grave
|This article about a Virginia politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|