Sir John Ribat
|Cardinal, Archbishop of Port Moresby|
Cardinal John Ribat in New Delhi, India, in 2019
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Archdiocese||Archdiocese of Port Moresby|
|Appointed||26 March 2008|
|Predecessor||Brian James Barnes|
|Ordination||1 December 1985|
|Consecration||11 February 2001|
by Gérard-Joseph Deschamps
|Created cardinal||19 November 2016|
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||John Ribat|
|Born||9 February 1957|
Volavolo, Papua New Guinea
|Motto||Peace through Jesus' Heart|
|Coat of arms|
Ordination history of
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
On 30 October 2000, Pope John Paul II named him auxiliary bishop of Bereina and titular bishop of Macriana Minor. He was consecrated bishop on 11 February 2001 and named Bishop of Bereina on 12 February 2002. Pope Benedict XVI named him Coadjutor Archbishop of Port Moresby on 16 April 2007 and he succeeded to that office on 26 March 2008.
On 9 October 2016, Pope Francis announced that he planned to raise Ribat to the rank of cardinal at a consistory scheduled for 19 November 2016. He was made a Cardinal Priest on that day and assigned to the titular church of San Giovanni Battista de Rossi. He is the first cardinal from his country.
Francis made him a member of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development on 23 December 2017.
- Luxmoore, Jonathan (28 October 2016). "Papua New Guinea's first cardinal to represent Catholics in 'small places'". The Catholic Register. Catholic News Service. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Deputy PM, Catholic archbishop knighted". The National. 14 June 2016. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 19 novembre per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali". Press Office of the Holy See.
- "Titular churches and diaconates of the new cardinals, 19.11.2016" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 19 November 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 23.12.2017" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 23 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Ribat Card. John, M.S.C." Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Roques, Constance (19 November 2016). "Papouasie-Nouvelle Guinée: Mgr John Ribat, premier cardinal". Zenit (in French). Retrieved 24 October 2017.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Bishop of Bereina
Rochus Josef Tatamai
Brian James Barnes
| Archbishop of Port Moresby
Julio Terrazas Sandoval
| Cardinal Priest of San Giovanni Battista de Rossi|